Jisti (and VestaCP) : grey blank screen after installation

Hi :slight_smile:

I have installed Jitsi with success on an fresh new Ubuntu 18.04 server, but I need to install it on a running one with some specificity :

• it’s running Ubuntu 18.04
  • it’s already running a prosody server
  • it’s finally also running VestaCP, an opensource software to host website

And I wonder if it could be a specificity with this bundle… but I’m not sure because we are working with hosting standards…

I have created with VestaCP a subdomain https://meet.spheerys.fr with a working Let’s Encrypt certificate
After classical Jitsi installation, I have :

• open ports on the server
  • make a symbolic links between /usr/share/jitsi-meet and my /public_html for the subdomain

But I always have a grey blank screen as you can see https://meet.spheerys.fr

On the/var/log/jitsi/jvb.log file I have :

2020-04-09 16:40:21.666 INFO: [17] Videobridge.createConference#326: create_conf, id=c94871c6de92e06b gid=null logging=false
2020-04-09 16:40:21.681 INFO: [17] Health.doRun#294: Performed a successful health check in 16ms. Sticky failure: false

I have looked a lot in this forum and found some tips, as verifying if there is not a missing comma inside config.js or /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js but :

• I don’t made any change inside this two files for now
  • I check each line, and I don’t find any comma problem…

Where the problem comes from ?

Your error as shown in the Javascript consile is “Uncaught ReferenceError: interfaceConfig is not defined”, this is normally because there is no ssi (server side include) turned on the server.

Those should not be seen when ssi is working, those looking as comments:

I also saw this issue, but the SSI looks activated on my server…
I will dig on this way because obviously it is not :slight_smile:

any news ? I do have a grey blank screen at my server as well https://meet.sepphod.de

In your case, your SSI is working well.
You should have a look on your jitsi log /var/log/jitsi/jvb.log

In my case, I can’t make SSI works for now on my server, and I don’t know why…

Hoho I have found the issue to activate the SSI module.
I just had to load ApachE2 modules like this :

a2enmod include
service apache2 restart

But Jitsi is not working well !
Always grey blank screen and the jitsi log give me this :

2020-04-12 12:21:56.579 INFO: [16] VideobridgeExpireThread.expire#144: Running expire()
2020-04-12 12:21:59.191 INFO: [17] Videobridge.createConference#326: create_conf, id=b787f9348f8fc977 gid=null logging=false
2020-04-12 12:21:59.203 INFO: [17] Health.doRun#294: Performed a successful health check in 13ms. Sticky failure: false

On my /var/log/jitsi/jicofo.log file I have :

Jicofo 2020-04-12 12:42:57.229 SEVERE: [35] org.jitsi.xmpp.component.ComponentBase.log() Failed to send ping
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.xmpp.component.AbstractComponent.send(AbstractComponent.java:925)
	at org.jitsi.xmpp.component.ComponentBase.access$400(ComponentBase.java:36)
	at org.jitsi.xmpp.component.ComponentBase$PingTask.run(ComponentBase.java:577)
	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)
Jicofo 2020-04-12 12:42:58.219 SEVERE: [36] org.jitsi.meet.ComponentMain.log() java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused), host:localhost, port:5347
org.xmpp.component.ComponentException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
	at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponent.connect(ExternalComponent.java:296)
	at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponentManager.addComponent(ExternalComponentManager.java:242)
	at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponentManager.addComponent(ExternalComponentManager.java:222)
	at org.jitsi.meet.ComponentMain.lambda$getConnectCallable$0(ComponentMain.java:285)
	at org.jitsi.retry.RetryStrategy$TaskRunner.run(RetryStrategy.java:193)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:607)
	at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponent.connect(ExternalComponent.java:174)
	... 11 more

yes I got in the Jicofo log just some warnings
[10] org.jitsi.jicofo.FocusManager.log() No dedicated JVB MUC XMPP connection configured - falling back to the default
and
WARNING: [27] org.jitsi.jicofo.bridge.BridgeSelector.log() No pub-sub node mapped for jvbbrewery@internal.auth.meet.sepphod.de/2$

any idea - somebody?

Maybe…if you have made changes in your config.js, some typo’s may occur, that will not appear in your logs.
I experienced the same grey screen problem, until I found out there was a type error in my /etc/jitsi/meet/-config.js.

I uncommented etherpad_base: ‘:9001/p/’ in my config. And the grey screen appeared. After commenting the sentence, the grey-screen problem disappeared.

I didn’t make significant change on my conf file.
You can have a look here
Maybe can you see something wrong ?

No update in last 13 days?

Is this Jitsi project even real and active or is it more a fun project between few friends across the globe?

I have never seen any open source community project where you have more stale thread closed automatically due to inactiveness than the resolved cases.

There are 2-3 people (i assume from Jitsi) who try to answer few questions - in 2 lines, just the keep the forum active and then even they disappear.

Looks like no one knows anything and everything is trying something and if it works, good for you and if it does not, who cares. :slight_smile:

Really disappointed with Jitsi team. Never seen anything like this before. :frowning:

Why don’t you try to be part of the solution instead of expecting people to answer quickly tens of thousands of questions from folks all over the world (including a lot of Noobs and non-technical folks) in all timezones and then complaining about how no one seems to answer your questions? The community is quite active and most of the answers are all out there - I’m in fact amazed at the patience of @damencho and others in this project who have lots of people badgering them about the most basic questions about their specific configuration (when they haven’t even RTFM). Jitsi’s a living project with code changes that don’t always play well with the millions of different configurations and devices out there - just like with commercial software too. Open Source is community-driven, not a paid service. If you want good service then find a commercial vendor that provides what you want and see if they provide the support you need. Otherwise, have some patience or take a look at the source code or pay someone to help you solve your problem.

Hi Sepphod. I see that you have yours up and running. I am confronted with the same problems now using fresh ubuntu 18.04 and apache2.

Can you tell how did you reach a solution?

Thank you!
Alejandro

As far as I remember I removed every URL to a stun server who is listening on port 443 in the config.js

I hope it helps

Sepphod

Thank you @Sepphod, I don’t know that an stun server is, but I will look for use of 443 port in -config.js and see what happens commenting those lines.

Alejandro