Jicofo and Prosody keep restarting (xmpp.meet.jitsi:5222 not available)

So last week I got Jitsi working (latest Docker images on Debian using the latest Docker release for Buster). This weekend I decided to put everything in Ansible and to test the setup I redeployed everything from scratch. Sadly it doesn’t work anymore. Even when I setup everything manually as I did last week.

I might’ve done something different, but I can’t figure out what… These are the errors I see when I start Jitsi via Docker.

The problems seem to start on line 114: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$ConnectionException: The following addresses failed: 'xmpp.meet.jitsi:5222' failed because: xmpp.meet.jitsi/172.21.0.2 exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

In my .env I have set ENABLE_XMPP_WEBSOCKET=0, because of this: ENABLE_XMPP_WEBSOCKET=0 with nginx reverse proxy · Issue #902 · jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet · GitHub

But even when I set that to one to true, the error occurs. 172.21.0.0/24 is setup in Docker. But the Jicofo and Prosody images restart every minute. And therefore the JVB and such cannot connect.

This is also a strange one FATAL ERROR: Jicofo component secret and auth password must be set, since I do have it set in my .env.

Things I confirmed already:

• Firewall is open for Jitsi
  • File permissions are rx for ‘other’
  • .env configured the same as last time
  • Also set CONFIG to my home dir
  • Removed all config files
  • Removed all containers
  • Removed all Docker networks
  • Clean git clone

Below is my .env (passwords already reconfigured)

JICOFO_AUTH_PASSWORD=f5fb9bfdfc8ce2ae84c250bd76d0a16a
JVB_AUTH_PASSWORD=4afb3b15e06779b1b207791450da4c7d
JIGASI_XMPP_PASSWORD=1f64740faf244d8dc2a425b2ef61c904
JIBRI_RECORDER_PASSWORD=f98d3dc56808d57fcba6fbde1d41d19a
JIBRI_XMPP_PASSWORD=7f84cd0eea71d33b00e31258aa5ef192
CONFIG=/var/jitsi-meet-cfg
HTTP_PORT=8000
HTTPS_PORT=8443
TZ=UTC
PUBLIC_URL=https://meet.host.community
ENABLE_LOBBY=1
ENABLE_PREJOIN_PAGE=1
ENABLE_NOISY_MIC_DETECTION=1
ETHERPAD_TITLE=Video Chat
ETHERPAD_DEFAULT_PAD_TEXT=Welcome to Web Chat!\n\n
ETHERPAD_SKIN_NAME=colibris
ETHERPAD_SKIN_VARIANTS=super-light-toolbar super-light-editor light-background full-width-editor
ENABLE_AUTH=1
ENABLE_GUESTS=1
AUTH_TYPE=internal
XMPP_DOMAIN=meet.jitsi
XMPP_SERVER=xmpp.meet.jitsi
XMPP_BOSH_URL_BASE=http://xmpp.meet.jitsi:5280
XMPP_AUTH_DOMAIN=auth.meet.jitsi
XMPP_MUC_DOMAIN=muc.meet.jitsi
XMPP_INTERNAL_MUC_DOMAIN=internal-muc.meet.jitsi
XMPP_GUEST_DOMAIN=guest.meet.jitsi
XMPP_MODULES=
XMPP_MUC_MODULES=
XMPP_INTERNAL_MUC_MODULES=
JVB_BREWERY_MUC=jvbbrewery
JVB_AUTH_USER=jvb
JVB_STUN_SERVERS=meet-jit-si-turnrelay.jitsi.net:443
JVB_PORT=10000
JVB_TCP_HARVESTER_DISABLED=true
JVB_TCP_PORT=4443
JVB_TCP_MAPPED_PORT=4443
JICOFO_AUTH_USER=focus
JIGASI_XMPP_USER=jigasi
JIGASI_BREWERY_MUC=jigasibrewery
JIGASI_PORT_MIN=20000
JIGASI_PORT_MAX=20050
ENABLE_RECORDING=1
XMPP_RECORDER_DOMAIN=recorder.meet.jitsi
JIBRI_RECORDER_USER=recorder
JIBRI_RECORDING_DIR=/config/recordings
JIBRI_XMPP_USER=jibri
JIBRI_BREWERY_MUC=jibribrewery
JIBRI_PENDING_TIMEOUT=90
JIBRI_STRIP_DOMAIN_JID=muc
JIBRI_LOGS_DIR=/config/logs
RESTART_POLICY=unless-stopped
ENABLE_XMPP_WEBSOCKET=0

I do however use a reverse proxy for Jitsi (Nginx):

server {
  server_name meet.host.community;
  include tls_params;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
    error_page 502 =502 /errorpages/generic_offline.html;
    proxy_intercept_errors on;

proxy_pass https://localhost:8443;
    proxy_http_version 1.1;
    include proxy_params;
  }

location /errorpages/ {
    alias /var/www/errorpages/;
  }
}

But after Jitsi starts, I can connect to the web interface, but when I start session, I get the error that the camera cannot be found.

Any suggestions?

Hello, I’ve encountered the same issue when trying to install jitsi on an EC2 instance using docker and docker-compose. Have you found any solution ?

Hi Victor, unfortunately not. I’ve spend almost my whole weekend trying all sorts of things. I’m not sure what I did different before, because it did work. If anyone else got this problem and knows a solution, please share :slight_smile: Or if more information or specific troubleshooting is needed, then I’ll provide that on request.

Yes i have found a solution,
it seems the master build isnt working properly so I had to use an ancient version of docker-jitsi-meet, added my specifications + made sure https works and its now working fine.

See this for more explaination : Jicofo and Prosody containers keep restarting with fatal error "Jicofo component secret and auth password must be set" · Issue #1004 · jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet · GitHub

1 Like

That indeed does it for me as well! I was also trying this, but I guess I didn’t clear out my config directory. Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Victor_Mouradian i also have the same issue, but the link is not working properly, where i can get that ancient version of the docker?

Many Thanks in advance!

You first clone the original repo then git checkout to get an older version. You should then be able to run docker-compose -d