Jibri README.md questions

Hey guys,

I have started to look into Jibri and while walking through the README.md I collected a few questions.

Jibri was built on ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial), and has been tested with the pre-built kernel and extra kernel modules (linux-image-extra-virtual package). Any other distribution or kernel configuration MAY work but has not been tested.

Is this still true or is it being built on the current Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS now? Is there a reason to not switch to the newer version?

See the debian control file for the dependencies that are required. These can be installed using the following:

If these are packaged dependencies, why do you suggest to install them manually? Do they need to exist in advance like nginx for the meet install?

This example creatively uses username ‘jibri’ and group name ‘jibri’, but any user will do.

The package creates the jibri user. I am not sure why “any user” is even suggested? :slight_smile:

Ensure that the jibri user is in the correct groups to make full access of the audio and video devices. The example jibri account in Ubuntu 16.04 are: “adm”,“audio”,“video”,“plugdev”.

$ id jibri
uid=999(jibri) gid=999(jibri) groups=999(jibri),29(audio),44(video),1001(jitsi)

I don’t see adm and plugdev on the default installation, are these required?

Create the internal MUC component entry. […] Add the following in /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua:

Not in /etc/prosody/conf.d/$(hostname -f).cfg.lua?

$ sudo grep -A 7 'internal muc component' /etc/prosody/conf.d/$(hostname -f).cfg.lua
-- internal muc component
Component "internal.auth.meet.fh-muenster.de" "muc"
    storage = "memory"
    modules_enabled = {
      "ping";
    }
    admins = { "focus@auth.meet.fh-muenster.de", "jvb@auth.meet.fh-muenster.de" }

The README.md suggests storage = "null" and muc_room_cache_size = 1000, the installed prosody config uses memory and no cache size. Do I need to change / add those?

What about the additional admins entry?

Create the recorder virtual host entry […] Add the following in /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua:

Not in /etc/prosody/conf.d/$(hostname -f).cfg.lua?

If someone can confirm / explain these, I might be able to update the file and do a PR.

Hi @Balu, I think you will find most of your answers here: How-to to setup integrated Jitsi and Jibri for dummies, my comprehensive tutorial for the beginner (This is for Debian 10) :wink:

Not quite. You have followed most of the instructions on your installation, but questions like “are these extra groups required?” and “create the internal MUC compnent entry” even though it already exists are not explained :slight_smile:

I am mostly trying to fix some things I am not sure about in the main documentation, so others have it easier too.