Jibri fails to start recording, jicofo complains about "Unable to find an available Jibri, can't start"

Installed and configured jitsi-meet, jvb2, jicofo and prosody per instructions. Everything works apart from Jibri recording a session.

Logs:
iicofo: jicofo.log - Pastebin.com
jibri: jibri.log - Pastebin.com
prosody: prosody.log - Pastebin.com
Config:
jibri.conf: jibri.conf - Pastebin.com

Excerpt from the prosody config for the server:

Component “internal.auth.XXX.XXX” “muc”
storage = “memory”
modules_enabled = {
“ping”;
}
admins = { “focus@auth.XXX.XXX”, “jvb@auth.XXX.XXX” }
muc_room_locking = false
muc_room_cache_size = 1000
muc_room_default_public_jids = true

VirtualHost “recorder.XXX.XXX”
modules_enabled = {
“ping”;
}
authentication = internal_plain

VirtualHost “auth.XXX.XXX”
ssl = {
key = “/etc/prosody/certs/auth.XXX.XXX.key”;
certificate = “/etc/prosody/certs/auth.XXX.XXX.crt”;
}
authentication = “internal_plain”

Please let me know if you need more info.

What could be the case for the the read error on the second but last line of the prosody log?

YOur jibri.conf is wrong; looks like you copied and pasted the config from config.json (which is being deprecated). Take a look at this tutorial, check out the jibri.conf section, copy the complete jibri.conf there and edit to reflect your values.

TUTORIAL: Jibri Overview, Troubleshooting Tips & Tricks - Solve your Jibri Problems, Quickly!

Hi Freddie, thanks for your quick feedback and the excellent tutorial. In the end it turned out to be a Prosody config issue (don’t forget to wrap strings with “” in a Lua source, otherwise Lua will just assign an empty variable to another :slight_smile: but it wod have been much harder to track down this issue w/o your guidance.

BTW: It’s probably best to leave ownership of /var/log subdirs with root and handle proper write permissions of those subdirs via group acls and configuration as this is the accepted standard in the Linux world. Just my $.02 on an otherwise excellent tutorial.

You’re welcome! Glad to hear you fixed the error.

The installation script assigns ownership of Jibri’s logs to Jibri. This is of course, because Jibri needs to be able to write to that subdirectory and ultimately, those logs. While I see your point, I think it’s worth remembering that most people who do this installation have minimal-to-no familiarity with Linux, so automatic assignments are better. I can’t tell you how many issues people have run into just from having wrong permissions.