Jibri consumes too much RAM

Install jibri on my own server, I have 6 cores in CPU, 12Gb in RAM and 120gb in SSD, however when I start recording, I monitor the consumption of RAM and see how it runs out little by little until it stops recording. Does anyone know how to fix it or why this happens?

This is a symptom of weak CPU power

2 Likes

In fact, I did tests and found that it really was that. Thank you @emrah

1 Like

Hello @emrah @CarlosE , i am facing the same issue. I am having 4 CPU 16 GB RAM. Weak CPU power means do i have to increase the CPU size if yes can you tell me which is preferrable CPU size?

Normally 4 cores are OK if the server has dedicated CPU

Thank you @emrah for the quick answer. We are using dedicated CPU only with only one jibri instance and Jitsi, whenever i start recording, within one minute Jibri consumps my full RAM with 16 GB and my meeting stucks at that point.

Just for information, we are using docker jitsi and using lib-meet library to integrated in our application.

Something is certainly wrong if it’s using 16 GiB. Get a shell in the container while it’s recording and run top and see what’s using all the RAM, whether it’s Jibri or Chrome.

Our config uses about 2 vCPU + 1 GiB RAM while recording, but we have some customisations so it might not be directly comparable to the standard jitsi-meet docker config (using pulseaudio instead of ALSA, using chromiumdriver, split jibri/x11/pulseaudio/icewm into separate containers within a single k8s pod).

ffmpeg uses RAM for caching when it has not enough CPU power in most cases

1 Like

Yeah, 16 GiB is quite a lot though considering that just 4 vCPU / 2 cores (if it’s really dedicated) should be enough for ffmpeg to keep up with the video stream. To need to cache 16 GiB, ffmpeg would need to fall behind the stream by nearly 200 seconds at 720p or about 85 seconds at 1080p. So I wonder if it’s something else. top will have the answer!

4CPU and you’re running Jibri (in 1080p, most likely) with Jitsi on the same server; yes, you will have resource problems.

@Freddie Yes, if i want to decrease the resolution of ffmpeg and i am using docker jitsi, so do you know in which file i can change this configuration regarding resolution ?

Not sure how docker works, but in a regular deployment, you would need to make the changes in jibri.conf and xorg-dummy.

I can’t see anything in the docker-jitsi-meet config for setting the resolution, so you may have to build a custom jibri container with the needed changes in jibri’s config and Xorg’s config.

This happened to me when I was streaming to youtube and recording at same time:

Oh that means i need to remove the docker jibri and install fresh with custom changes.