Jibri configuration changes incoming: interested in feedback

I’m planning on changing the way Jibri configuration is implemented soon. There’s a PR here and a migration guide here that I’d be interested in feedback on. This code does not break Jibris with an “old” config file: it leverages the new jitsi-metaconfig lib to first check the old configuration and, if no value is found, check the new configuration.

Soon after that PR lands, Jibri will start logging warnings if “old” configuration is being used for parameters. Some (appropriate) amount of time later, exceptions will be thrown if old configuration is present. Finally Jibri will stop checking old config locations entirely.

The type of feedback I’m looking for:

1. Does the code in that branch properly respect your existing config?
  2. Anything in the config migration guide that can be made clearer?

The type of feedback I’m not looking for:

1. Why are you doing this?
  2. Why didn’t you use lib XYZ?
  3. etc.
1 Like

I think the new config format is more readable than the old one and more easy to customize through the shell tools. I have some codes modifying the Jibri config but it’s not a problem to convert it.

1 Like

We are using static template, so basically config file format is irrelevant, we will set it up once and leave it be.

For the migration guide - some referenced files returns 404. I don’t know this format (never heard of) and its value encoding, so i would like to at least have some basic info about something like boolean values are true/false (or yes/no) and are case-(in)sensitive, strings needs to be in single/double quotes or can be both, how are special chars encoded, etc.

1 Like

Thanks, fixed the links.

You can read about the HOCON format here

The new config will also support overriding parameters via environment variables, in case that makes your life easier.

2 Likes

The migration link is still broken :sweat_smile:
Can you fix it again please?

Sorry, fixed!

Thanks, by the way…

There is a broken link there too
https://github.com/jitsi/jibri/blob/master/doc/doc/example_xmpp_envs.conf

there is a “double /doc” , i saw and pointed to the example link. Fix that too :slight_smile:

Geez, what idiot wrote this thing? :wink: Fixed.

1 Like

I opened a newtopic for an existing jibri environmet upgrade.
I found some things that may be helpfull for the community, and i have some questions myself, i would be glad if you could check it here Quests about Upgrading an existing Jibri Server

Broken link…

config_migration_guide.md

Internal and external HTTP API ports

jibri {
    http {
        external-api-port = <number>
        internal-api-port = <number>
    }
}

@bbaldino, is this correct or should it be as the following like reference.conf

jibri {
    api {
        http {
            external-api-port = <number>
            internal-api-port = <number>
        }
    }
}

Same question for XMPP environment config too…

Darn…whatever is in reference.conf is right, so it looks like I must have tweaked things and not updated the docs.

1 Like