Issues Using Encyption

I hope I’ve posted this in the right place. Apologies if not.

I’ve just started testing Jitsi Meet with a couple of colleagues.

On all tests I have been the meeting Host. I’m using PureOS and the Brave Browser v1.48.158 with WebRTC IP handling policy set to default. I’ve used all WebRTC IP handling policies in Brave been this has not resolved the issue.

Both colleagues (in different areas) are using Brave (versions not yet noted) and have been connected over 4G using the Jitsi app v 22.7.1 build 227010.

Everything works fine without encryption but when encryption is turned both video and sound no longer work. Video is heavily pixilated and audio whistles/squeaks. A message appears on the Host session saying that the microphone is noisy.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Mind that it is not possible to have an unencrypted call. Everything that goes over the wire is encrypted and protected.

I suppose you are talking about e2ee, which is another thing and it actually adds a second layer of encryption over the existing one. More info at: Jitsi Meet Security & Privacy | Jitsi

It is known that e2ee doesn’t work with some codecs yet. It is still work in progress.

In addition to what @damencho said, E2EE does not work on mobile devices in particular yet.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

The “Enable End-to-End Encryption” option under Security Options on the Web version is the setting that when turned on creates the issue.

Yep, exactly. That is not available on mobile yet. And from the link I’ve shared:
The good news is that Jitsi Meet offers very strong protection even without e2ee.

Many thanks for your reply.

I didn’t have time to read the link you posted regarding security this morning but now I have all is much clearer now.

Thank you :+1: