Is the any issue installing FFMPEG 4.2.2

I have FFMPEG 3.4.8 installed and when I checked I saw that the latest version of FFMPEG was 4.2.2. Is there a way to upgrade the existing FFMPEG to version 4.2.2.

I found the following methods for accomplishing this, but don’t want to do it until I know that this doesn’t introduce any compatability issues:

sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg

Or

sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd
sudo snap install ffmpeg

The question is can I install over an existing installation. Is there an upgrade option?

This would be installing on Ubuntu 18.04

Are you sure this is the right forum for your question? I don’t think it has anything to do with jitsi.

Doesn’t Jibri use FFMPEG for audio and video processing??

You have not mentioned anything about jibri.
If params passed to ffmpeg from jibri are supported you can upgrade …

Thanks damencho. I would not know, since I am brand new to Jitsi/Jibri, what params Jibri passes to FFMPEG. Can you or someone here give me a heads up on that so that I can make sure that there isn’t a compatibility issue.

Since FFMPEG is installed before installing Jibri, how would I know what version of FFMPEG to install in the first place? I am just trying to wrap my head around the software here, not trying to be critical.

Actually I don’t care what version of FFMPEG is installed, I just want Jibri working as efficiently as possible. If FFMPEG 7:3.4.8 is adequate for the task then that is OK, but that that seems like a pretty old version of FFMPEG considering that the current version is 8:4.2.2.

Thanks damencho.

I told the person I was installing this for that I would have recordings working in three days, and today is day 4 and I don’t seem much closer than on day 1.

This is really tedious time consuming work. I appreciate all the help you are providing.

If you were to install the latest build of Jibri, what version of FFMPEG would you first install on the server??

I can just reinstall Ubuntu 18.04, install the CSF (ConfigServer Firewall) and LFD (Login Failure Daemon) and start over again. I see I have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me, but I will make it to the top of the hill and have this local install of Jitsi sporting all the latest bells and whistles.

The other thing that troubles me is that I didn’t set up the Jitsi server in as I should have set it up either, that was the result of following old guides yet installing the latest version of Jitsi.

I going to try to aggregate all this disparate bits of advice into a guide I can use for installing the latest version of Jitsi/Jibri correctly. I know that will not be an easy task either.

Do what comes with Ubuntu

FFMPEG does not come with Ubuntu. the Firewall and Login Failure Daemon is provided by the host as a more comprehensive Firewall setup than UFW.

This is what I have seen for installing FFMPEG. Would you advise this??

sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg

OK, I see FFMPEG is already in the list of repositories included with Ubuntu 18.04 and I get that by running

sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg

and this result in FFMPEG 7:3.4.8, so I guess this is the best version for this version of Ubuntu?

Thanks again so much, I will leave well enough alone, and not worry that this isn’t version 8: 4.2.2.

FYI, in case Jitbri would like to use the new encoders and decoders. I am still going to use 3.4.8 for now because I don’t think 4.x.x buys any advantage since Jibri isn’t using the new encoders and decoders:

Installing FFmpeg 4.x on Ubuntu

The FFmpeg version 4.x adds a number of new filters, encoders, and decoders.

The easiest way is to install FFmpeg 4.x on Ubuntu 18.04 is by using the snappy packaging system.

Open your terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T and install the FFmpeg snap package, by typing:

sudo snap install ffmpeg

The download may take some time depending on the speed of your connection.

Once done, verify the FFmpeg installation by running the ffmpeg -version command: