Is openjdk-17 suitable for jicofo and jitsi-videobridge2 on Debian 11?

Greetings. On a freshly installed Debian 11 system I did this today:

apt-get install jitsi-meet

and to my surprise, openjdk-17-jre-headless got installed.

This package is available in Debian 11, but it’s not the default/recommended jre version in Debian 11 (that would be
openjdk-11-jre-headless as a dependency of default-jre-headless).

The reason for this is that jitsi-meet depends on java8-runtime-headless | java8-runtime | java11-runtime-headless | java11-runtime which are purely virtual packages provided by openjdk-17-jre-headless.

Simple question: Is jicofo and videobridge actually known to work with openjdk-17, or should this considered a packaging glitch? (i.e. not really intended openjdk-17 to be installed).

Thanks.

Even they may work, you may see problems when using java 17. For sure under load the bridge is not tuned for the java 17 GC.

I’ve found that latest (28 Jan 2022) jicofo_1.0-846-1_all.deb and jitsi-videobridge2_2.1-617-ga8b39c3f-1_all.deb were build using Java 11. Does it mean Java 11 is preferred over Java 8 now? I’m asking in term of stability and optimization according to your post here. Thanks.

Yes you can run everything with java 11. That post is almost two years old :slight_smile:

Hmm, just to be sure: does this “everything” include jibri, or just jicofo and videobridge?

Everything, everything.