IPv6 support in meet.jit.si

Hi,
are you having any luck getting the IPv6 calls on official meet.jit.si server working on an IPv6-only connections? I’ve been doing some light analysis of IPv6-enabled VC solutions lately and I have had mixed success with Jitsi - IPv6-only calls were working on other IPv6 sites (e.g. jitsi.riot.im) but not on meet.jit.si.

I’m basing my assumptions on this blogpost, that it should be possible:

To clarify, what I mean is pure IPv6 connection, without any access to IPv4 network (= without NAT64/DNS64 or 464XLAT). Also there seem to be some issues in the browsers, I only had luck with Firefox 90.0b1 with Ubuntu Linux 21.04 currently, so the situation seems very fluid at the moment. The official Android app was working fine, though.

EDIT: The symptoms are - I can join the room, see the participants and enjoy the text chat, yet the audio and video media cannot connect. Seems to be some kind of issue with connection to the video bridge.

Thanks,
Pavel

meet.jit.si at the moment doesn’t support ipv6, it used to support it, but since the pandemic and change of cloud its ipv4 only. But that is limited to the meet.jit.si env, if you deploy it in ipv6 env it will work out of the box.

Gotcha, thanks for the answer! May I ask if you are planning to restore IPv6 support at some near future? Although I kinda assume that it’s probably not a priority right now. But it would be “nice to have”. :slight_smile:

Also, there is one UX point I had regarding IPv6 not working - it’s was not really properly indicated that the media connection is not working. You can join the call but you won’t be able to talk to anybody. I am thinking that could be confusing for some people. (Though I am aware it currently does not affect a whole lot of people.)

It is not currently on our roadmap … Not sure about its state … @Aaron_K_van_Meerten may have more info :slight_smile:

Yep, the bridges at the moment do not support ipv6 where the signalling nodes do support it … as we are running in mixed cloud provider mode :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought it was, thanks for confirming :slight_smile:

Correct, we hope to add IPv6 back to the JVBs in the future but there’s no specific date planned.

1 Like

Unfortunately the download repository for jitsi packages only supports IPv4. So I’m not able to install my own jitsi instance over IPv6. :frowning: