"Invite more people" banner is missing when you are the only user

In the latest version if you are the only person in a meeting it no longer gives you the “Invite more people” banner as it once did. I confirmed this on alpha.jitsi.net and meet.jit.si as well as a local install.

This is missing if you are the only user:

Check the participants pane.

@Freddie. It is there and that is where I would expect it to be after other users have joined. However in order to help users that are unfamiliar with the platform, having the Invite more people banner when you are the only person in the bridge made sense and reduced confusion.

I really don’t think you need any familiarity with the platform to know that you need to look for an invite icon of some sort. Every platform/application/software requires some learning curve; we can’t possibly think it’s too much for people to explore a platform for options. Honestly, I don’t even think I’ve personally seen any other platform where there was a bold “Invite more people” icon thrown starkly in the face. If people are confused about having to invite people to a conference, then they’ll probably have even more confusion using technology as a whole.

I’m on the fence on this one. It’s unnecessary for the tech savvy audience, but could be helpful for certain demographics.

Which is why it was introduced in the first place – to improve UX for first time users – as mentioned by Saul in his FOSDEM talk.

Curious to know if the removal was unintentional or a conscious decision.

While I want to agree with you and do personally, the amount of questions I received from this being removed suggests that the general population may not be looking at iconography or do not understand as well as the tech savvy do. One thing I have often gotten questions about is why there are not static labels under the icons similar to Zoom, RingCentral, and Teams. This seems like a waste of space to me as the icons are self explanatory from my view but some users just don’t know what these buttons do and somehow fail to realize that hovering over it will tell you.

I definitely see what you’re saying, I just have a different philosophy about it. App development is a fast-moving world with new improvements coming in faster than one can download. To keep abreast then, users must adapt. I’m almost certain practically everyone who’s complaining about these labels has a smartphone - many features (and icons) on smartphones do not have labels. Why? Because there’s an expected - and I daresay, useful even - learning curve. We have to train our users to get comfortable with this, otherwise they’ll present even stronger resistance to change.

Some folks here, for instance, complained about the new interface. While many of us were ogling over it, some felt the interface change was undesirable. Why? Simply because they’re resistant to change. They’re used to seeing things a certain way and the concept of learning a slightly new way (even if better) was just not endearing to them.

My take, train the users. Training is an important part of app deployment. Even a simple one-page guide showing where features have been moved to and what new features are being introduced, would be sufficient.

3 Likes

I do agree with you on pretty much every point and I am personally a fan of iconography over words in UI/UX development. My only objection is we also need to listen to our users and not simply do what we think is best every time. If I sit 10 people in front of Jitsi for the first time, tell them to join a meeting, and then ask for their opinion and 7 people say they want words under the icons (or couldn’t find something that is clearly there), well I am probably going to put words under the icons because I don’t want 7 tickets from the same users saying they can’t or don’t know how to screen share and its not a very impactful change.

I also want those 7 people to have a good first impression of the application on their first use and not need to be trained for basic features. If there is too steep a learning curve, people will shy away from the product despite it being a better product. Also if the feature isn’t self-evident most users are going to assume you don’t have the feature rather than look up how to do it and you may loose a potential client.

Again, I agree with you that users should be better trained but if I meet with clients and they regularly say “how do I screen share” or “how do switch speakers”, one should consider how we can make those user’s experience better. Even if its decided that it should not be done, it should still be considered. Some video meeting platforms have a quick tutorial that shows up on first use but all the ones I have looked at just now also have labels under the main functions, even within their mobile apps.

I do think the new UI has addressed most of these issues and I love what the Jitsi team have done so please do not read this as any sort of complaint.

1 Like

Buddy, believe me, if you use user demands as the sole or major driver for planning app development, you will either never successfully develop your app or you’ll have an app that’s so cluttered, it’s functionally useless. As a developer, you will always need to balance the need to present a clean interface with the myriad requests by users to have everything in plain sight. Again, a learning curve is an expected - and necessary - part of using any new product.

Something as basic as switching from an android phone to an iPhone takes a learning curve, switching from a PC to a Mac takes a learning curve, even switching from one android phone to another or one iPhone to another takes a learning curve. Learning curves should not be despised; they’re good, they educate, they enlighten, they prepare. And users, for all their initial complaints, often feel empowered (and especially smart) when they eventually learn/discover how to get something done. :wink:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 2.37.22 PM

There are like what, 8 icons on that toolbar, at least 5 of which are quickly and easily recognizable and all of which have labels on mouseover. I think we’re making more of this that it needs to be. I’ve used other videoconferencing platforms, I had to search around for things. I didn’t whine, I didn’t moan, I just understood it was my first time and I needed to familiarize myself with the environment (the Jitsi electron desktop app actually has an onboarding script that runs on first use).

Honestly, for me, it still boils down to training. Training is not an adjunct; it’s a very necessary part of transitioning people from one environment/platform/app/way of thinking to another. Always think of it as part of the buy-in process.

4 Likes