Installing transcriptions no cc button

I have installed jitsi on a Digital Ocean droplet using Ubuntu. It works fine and I have the dial in and dial out mechanism working great so far. I have someone who is pretty well deaf but can see great. We would like to converse and the transcription or CC property would allow my friend to communicate…

I have set:

org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_TRANSCRIPTION=true
org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_SIP=true

in /etc/jitsi/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties.

I restarted the server but the CC button is missing.

Could someone help me get this going? Thank you in advance.

Did you deploy a properly configured Jigasi for transcribing?

I installed with ```
apt-get -y install jigasi

then edited `/etc/jitsi/jigasi/config` and 
`/etc/jitsi/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties` 
as per instructions from Voximplant.

I had some problems getting it to work but had to "install" an XMPP user. The dial-in works and dial-out works.

IIRC the VoxImplant instructions were meant for dial in/out, not for transcribing. For that you need to configure some specific options for the Google transcription service, which is not free. Did you do that?

I very much doubt that I did. Can you point me in the right direction in order to configure these specific options please. I’ll let you know so that others can follow this thread and also know how to set this up.
Thank you.

You can find the transcription options in the jigasi REAME: https://github.com/jitsi/jigasi/blob/master/README.md

Hello Saghul,

Thank you for your time

I have gotten to install according to instructions and I can dial in and out perfectly.
In /etc/jitsi/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties
I entered the following changes:
org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_TRANSCRIPTION=true and org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_SIP=true

I couldn’t find the SIP dial button and the URI jitsi_meet_transcribe
So I left that alone.

The Google configuration dragged my droplet to a halt, so I tried Vosk.
Entered the following:
apt install docker.io
docker run -d -p 2700:2700 alphacep/kaldi-en:latest

Went back to cd /etc/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties
and entered the line

org.jitsi.jigasi.transcription.customService=org.jitsi.jigasi.transcription.VoskTranscriptionService

Everything fired up except there is no transcription “CC” button and no transcription available.

I believe I may be changing the wrong files and don’t know how to get the CC button to appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Bruce

Hello Saghul,

Accidentally hit the withdraw post button and couldn’t get the post back so I am re-entering it.

Thank you for your time

I have gotten to install according to instructions and I can dial in and out perfectly.
In /etc/jitsi/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties
I entered the following changes:
org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_TRANSCRIPTION=true and org.jitsi.jigasi.ENABLE_SIP=true

I couldn’t find the SIP dial button and the URI jitsi_meet_transcribe
So I left that alone.

The Google configuration dragged my droplet to a halt, so I tried Vosk.
Entered the following:
apt install docker.io
docker run -d -p 2700:2700 alphacep/kaldi-en:latest

Went back to /etc/jigasi/sip-communicator.properties
and entered the line

org.jitsi.jigasi.transcription.customService=org.jitsi.jigasi.transcription.VoskTranscriptionService

Everything fired up except there is no transcription “CC” button and no transcription available.

I believe I may be changing the wrong files and don’t know how to get the CC button to appear.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Bruce

@bbrout you still have this issue? Google transcription works as expected on current stable branch. You may give it a try now.

You may reinstall, using this script Jitsi Install Script For Ubuntu

Yes, I still have the issue. There was an upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 and that knocked out my ability to call out on my Viximplant account. However, calling in still worked. I have reinstalled and checked all I can and still there is no CC button. I will try your advice and reinstall using your script.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you.
Yours,

Bruce

@bbrout you have to enable it in your config.js. Set the following property to true:

transcribingEnabled: true,

And make sure in your interface_config, the following is set to false (it should be by default):

DISABLE_TRANSCRIPTION_SUBTITLES: false,

Thank you all. I have the following errors when trying to use the script jitsi_ubuntu_setup.sh.txt
I have renamed the script jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh

./jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh: line 3: TODO:: command not found
./jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh: line 24: '\r': command not found ./jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh: line 28: ‘\r’: command not found
./jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh: line 29: syntax error near unexpected token $'\r'' '/jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh: line 29: logit()

I believe I need to install some more ENVIRONMENT variables. Can you help me with this please?

Thank you.

@bbrout please comment line 4. I didn’t do that when I added it at the last minute. My bad.

Comment it and run.

Also please convert it to linux line endings by running
dos2unix jitsi_ubuntu_install.sh

Or I have just made those changes. You may take the updated script from Jitsi Install Script For Ubuntu - #3 by Prashanth

Managed to get all that done. However I cannot open the meeting at jitsi.physical-truth.com. It gives me a 404 error on Firefox and a NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID on Chrome. I entered "physical-truth.com’ (without the “jitsi”) as the domain name when I installed. I hope that was right, because changing the domain name can be real nasty when trying to reinstall. Can you help to resolve this? Thank you.

If your server is resolved with jitsi.physical-truth.com, please use this as export variable for domain.

It should be fqdn of jitsi meet server.

OMG it worked. Just in time for the meeting. I also see the CC button.
We’ll try it in the meeting and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot man. You’re a lifesaver

That’s good to know @bbrout. Update here with your experience with transcriber.

I see a few errors in jigasi logs, some times and the quality of subtitles is not accurate, when compared with google meet’s captions.