Installation using quick-install totally and repeatably fails

meet

100% repeatable, because I am setting almost all of it up with preseed. Here are the steps:

1. Install debian (from netinstall ISO) into KVM virtual machine with following commands (after creating a 4 GiB LVM volume):
    tempdir=$(mktemp -d);
    chmod 711 $tempdir;
    cp /backup/vm/kickstart/vm_jitsi.cfg $tempdir/preseed.cfg;
    virt-install --name ‘vm_jitsi’ --memory ‘memory=1024,maxmemory=4096’ --vcpus ‘1’ --location ‘/backup/vm/iso/debian-9.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso’ --os-variant ‘debian9’ --disk ‘path=/dev/vg_root/lv_vm_jitsi,bus=virtio,cache=none,format=raw’ --network ‘bridge=br2,model=virtio,mac=52:54:00:ab:ab:ab’ --nographics --initrd-inject “$tempdir/preseed.cfg” --extra-args=‘console=ttyS0’;
    rm -rf $tempdir

2. The above references a preseed configuration file, so you can very easily reproduce this complete failure of the jitsi package installation for yourselves by quickly spinning up an equivalent VM. I only sanitized crypted password, domain, and subnets. Everything here is otherwise original. Here is the preseed configuration file content. Sorry about formatting issues. I was not permitted to upload this as an attachment.

== UPDATE==
Upon trying to post I discover that new users, in addition to being unable to attach text, also cannot put more than two links in a post, which invalidates my preseed file content. If somebody can fix these issues, I can upload the preseed content.

1. Execute
    apt-get -y install jitsi-meet

2. FAILURE! The package does not construct a virtual host entry for either nginx or apache regardless of which is installed and running (I’ve spent hours at this trying different things). It does not deploy anything in /srv, which a quick look around suggests that perhaps it should. Visiting the server shows the default nginx deployment page.

Other thoughts: it would be really nice to have a package for Enterprise Linux, or better yet, multiple packages with segmented systemd services. I think that hacks in the instructions, such as daemonizing by just having a user run something at startup in /etc/rc.local do not reflect well on the professionalism of the project, especially a project that people rely upon for rock-solid coding practices for bulletproof encryption and potentially even personal safety.

I fear this post may come across as pretty negative. I don’t mean it that way. It’s only that when I found this solution, I was very excited to deploy it, and in the attempt to do so, I have seen numerous opportunities for improvement in some pretty basic deployment practices that would drastically improve the code.

0 Likes

And, by the way, forgot to mention that the

apt-get -y install jitsi-meet

is run after rebooting the system and verifying that all configuration is as it should be per the quick-install document. I have tried iterations upon iterations of this configuration to get the jitsi-meet package to do what it purportedly should do to no avail.

0 Likes

There is a known bug with minimal debian/ubuntu system where it is not allowed for a package to use /usr/share/doc, while our package depends on it and fails to install. I suspect that netinst debian is the same.
And by the way everything is installed in /usr/share not /srv.

0 Likes

damencho

April 12

There is a known bug with minimal debian/ubuntu system where it is not allowed for a package to use /usr/share/doc, while our package depends on it and fails to install. I suspect that netinst debian is the same.

And by the way everything is installed in /usr/share not /srv.

Thank you for the quick response! I hope that you can understand my
frustration when I say, for the love of sanity, please add this to the
quick-install docs
. I have spent countless hours at this. :frowning: If, on the other hand, I somehow missed it in both the quick and manual docs, then my sincere apology.

I also apologize for the false conclusion about /srv. I got that from looking through some third-party documentation on the web.

Can
you suggest a workaround while using a minimal or netinstall or do I have no choice but to use a different installation medium?

Regards,

Ryan

0 Likes

I don’t know of any workaround.
Have you checked the error during installation, it was discussed several times in the issues and here in the forum and you can easily verify is it the same problem.

0 Likes

And to my other point about Enteprise Linux, are there any plans in the works? Or plans in the works for individual packages?

One use case, and I can’t imagine it’s all that uncommon. We’re already running both an XMPP server (prosody) and a web server (httpd) on CentOS 7 VMs, and it would be lovely to install only the components of Jitsi Meet that aren’t already operating on our network or to follow a generic installation recipe that keeps in mind that users may have pre-existing services. The manual install goes some way toward this, but individual packages and just a few hours worth of work providing some configuration file examples would go even farther. As it is, I have the choice between reverse-proxying for a machine running two redundant services on our network and hoping, without knowing how it works, that Jitsi Videobridge will come along for the ride correctly on the Jitsi Meet machine, or reverse engineering the Jitsi Meet architecture to tie it into existing services with a bare minimum of information about how to do so and how likely it is to work well in the manual install.

0 Likes

damencho

April 12

I don’t know of any workaround.

Have you checked the error during installation, it was discussed several times in the issues and here in the forum and you can easily verify is it the same problem.

No error is produced during installation. It silently fails in the way described, with no configuration files being setup for the web server.

I must admit that the forum was not the first place I looked. I scoured the quick-install and manual-install docs many times, Google searched for help. The forum was my last resort, but I even spent a lot of time searching through it. It’s a lot easier to find people with problems post-installation than with this particular problem, somehow. In my case, this failure was entirely silent, so it would be lovely if there were some warning about this in the quick-install docs.

0 Likes

It shouldn’t be, apt-get install produces a lot of output

0 Likes

damencho

April 12

It shouldn’t be, apt-get install produces a lot of output

Indeed, it produces a lot of output. None of it is at all indicative of an error, however, thus the completely silent failure. It produces standard information messages and even messages indicative of success, such as saying something along the lines of “you can now run the Let’s Encrypt script” after the message wherein it suggests that it has performed web virtual host configuration.

Would you like me to produce my preseed file so that you can reproduce this. All you’d have to do is run the virt-install command, let the preseed take you all the way through the installation unattended, and then after it reboots, issue apt-get -y install jitsi-meet.

So if I want to work around this, do I need to have some certain minimal set of packages installed to avoid “minimal” or just use media other than minimal or netinstall. My debian variant experience lags quite behind my EL experience.

Ryan

0 Likes

Still no resolution. I have tried an install from the following (non-minimal) disc: debian-9.8.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. I perform the installation after installing nginx.

/usr/share/jitsi-meet is populated. The nginx sites-available directory remains unchanged, with only its virgin default entry.

root@jitsi:~# ls -la /etc/nginx/sites-available/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 18 16:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Apr 18 07:09 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2416 Nov 7 05:40 default

Installation transcript follows. I see nothing to suggest unexpected behavior. It looks to me like a completely silent failure.
Please help.

Okay, cancel that. The forum pretty much won’t let me post anything useful because it contains “links”. You’ll have to take my word for error-free installation unless there’s some way I can send you useful content.

0 Likes

Send it privately to me, but I will able to check it next week as I’m traveling these days.

0 Likes