Installation problem: (Debian 10) Can't enter conference call

Hey,

I have tried to install jitsi on my root server. I am running java 8 and nginx.

I can see the jitsi starting page: https://jitsi.lukasfaik.de/

But it isn’t possible to start conference calls. Does anyone know why?

The connection fails every time!

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1076)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:324)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:267)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:262)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:654)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.onCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:473)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:369)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:377)
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:444)
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:422)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:182)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:149)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1143)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1054)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:394)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:810)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1200(XMPPTCPConnection.java:151)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1071)
… 3 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:456)
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:323)
at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:271)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:315)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:223)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:129)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:638)
… 16 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126)
at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:280)
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:451)
… 22 more
2020-12-02 14:49:24.532 WARNUNG: [17] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener: Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:324)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:267)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:262)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:654)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.onCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:473)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:369)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:377)
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:444)
at sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:422)
at sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:182)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:149)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1143)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1054)
at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:394)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:810)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1200(XMPPTCPConnection.java:151)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1071)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:456)
at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:323)
at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:271)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:315)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:223)
at sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:129)
at sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:638)
… 16 more

try to install openjdk-11 instead of this java 8 thing.

1 Like

Many Thanks, I just installed java 11 and don’t have the connection Problems anymore.

But it still does not work… I can enter a conference room, but the chat, video and microfone dont work!

Maybe you can see it yourself: jitsi.lukasfaik.de

I can also see a java memory error: https://www.lukasfaik.de/privat/htop.png

How do I fix this?

no there is no such thing what you see is a command line parameter.
What gives
systemctl status jicofo
systemctl status prosody
systemctl status jitsi-videobridge2

it tradition holds you will have a max task horribly low for jicofo.

1 Like

What does that mean?

it means nothing because jicofo is not even starting so you don’t see the max tasks (for videobridge for example you see the limit as 65000).
Try to post your jicofo.log (either attach it with the upload button or paste it by using three backticks ``` at the beginning of a line )

1 Like

I’m not sure if it is the right log, I got it from /var/log/jitsi/jvb.log

It’s called jvb.log and not jicofo.log. It’s the only log I can find in that directory.

https://www.lukasfaik.de/privat/jvb.log

I startet service jicofo by hand now I get this in systemctl:

Many thanks for your help and time!

fake start stop daemon ? What is this ? search engine says that it’s associated with a hosed system. What says ls /sbin/start* ?

I don’t know, maybe someone here will know :confused:

root@jitsi:~# ls /sbin/start*
/sbin/start-stop-daemon /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL

yes that’s bad. Your system has a problem. I have seen advice to move the /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL file to /sbin/start-stop-daemon it may work or not but at this point maybe it would be better to restore your last good backup.

Great, many thanks man I will try that!

I have installed my system from the ground up new. I reinstalled debian and the first thing I did was install jitsi.

I still have the same Problem with the fake start stop daemon.

Please help me

I thnik I got it fixed now! wow

What I did was this:

mv /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL /sbin/start-stop-daemon

But before you do that Backup the file!

This one command solved everything! Hope it helps others!