Including options for less CPU load in the user GUI settings

Hello Jitsi community, :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Thank you so much for this great app! :grinning:

Iโ€™ve already read that there might be multiple reasons why Jitsi Meet running in the browser window can put heavy load to the CPU of computers :desktop_computer:, laptops :computer: and smartphones :iphone:. This leads to a lot of heat :thermometer:, loud fans :loudspeaker: and very short battery life :battery:.

I know that you can modify the URL to something like โ€œhttps://meet.jit.si/somemeeeting#config.disableAGC=trueโ€ but this is not very convenient :sob:.

Why donโ€™t you add five simple toggles to the user GUI settings so that people can turn off resource-hungry processes on their devices if they donโ€™t need them? :innocent:

1. One toggle to change own camera resolution: 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p. :white_check_mark:

2. One toggle to enable only one video stream (of the current speaker) at once: (channelLastN: 1, enableLayerSuspension). :white_check_mark:

3. One toggle to disable some audio processing (Automatic Gain Control, Noise Suppression, Highpass Filter, Audio Levels). :white_check_mark:

4. One toggle to disable all unnecessary visual effects (DISABLE_FOCUS_INDICATOR, DISABLE_DOMINANT_SPEAKER_INDICATOR, DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND, something else?). :white_check_mark:

5. One toggle to switch between hardware VP8 and H264. :white_check_mark:

I would like to use Jitsi permanently, but if the battery is empty after 50 minutes, it doesnโ€™t do much and that seems to be a big problem :face_with_thermometer: when I look around the forum :family_man_woman_girl_boy:. So why are there no options for individual users to conveniently switch off unneeded options in the menu to save some battery juice? :battery:

Thanks and have a nice day! :grin: :+1: :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes