Improve Quality of Screen Sharing on Chrome

Has anyone tried VP9? Can you share how you succeeded in applying it? Or do you have any ways to improve the video quality? Because there are Mosaics when some things move quickly in the video. Thanks.

I haven’t tried VP9, but IIRC it has a higher CPU usage (which is already high as it is). What device where you using when you saw the video artifacts? Any chance you can record a short video showing the issue?

Cheers,

Now we don’t know where to set it as VP9. :frowning:

Here you can see the problem, it’s not clear enough, a little blurry, and it freezes a little bit every several seconds.

So what’s happening there, are you using the YouTube share funcionality? On what browser?

No. When sharing the screen. The shared screen is not as clear as the original one.
This video is for showing the problem. I played a video on YouTube, and it was clear, but as I shared my screen, other people saw the shared screen was not clear, and it froze due to video frame skipping, not smoothly, as the video shows, it’s not as clear as the original video. Especially when objects move.
For YouTube share functionality, it works perfectly. The problem exists when sharing the screen, we want to improve the quality.

normally screen sharing fps is only 5, If you want fluid video in screen sharing u need to add it in the config file as shown here

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

Correct. Sharing the screen to wartch a video is not really something we support. Screen sharing is designed for more static content.

1 Like

ditto what @saghul and @Tanvir said. Just a quick note that Chrome supports high fps and simulcast while screen-sharing and making use of these features is in our immediate roadmap.

1 Like

We’ve tried as @Tanvir suggested, and changed the fps as min 30 and max 60. Now it works much better. Thank you so much. But we found that the performance on Firefox is better than on Chrome. On Chrome, the fps is always below 30, and the shared screen is not so clear. But the fps on Firefox can reach 60, and in general higher than on Chrome, and the shared screen is clear if the internet connection is good. Why is there a difference? Should we change it as min 60 and max 60?

I’m not familiar with the Chrome internals on this regard, but given they have made significant strides towards making the static content sharing more efficient, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are hitting some edge cases.

Now we use Firefox to share screens, and enabled H.264 on this line, and it turns out even better! But I saw it says that “Note that it’s not recommended to do this because simulcast is not supported when using H.264.” So is screen sharing a kind of simulcast? Will it bring some troubles when H.264 is used?