I'm confused about Firefox compatibility

Dear jitsi-team,

first of all thanks for this great software!

Today I write here, because I’m confused about Firefox compatibility. I tried to understand what is written somewhere else here in the forum and in the net. But with no success.

I wonder if Firefox is compatibel with jitsi meet or not? Some month ago we used jitsi meet with firefox and it worked. After an update (maybe my installation or the browser itself) it doesn’t work anymore. Whenever someone with Firefox enteres a room, he/she looses the connection.

Maybe there are some easy answers to my questions:
a) Is Firefox compatibel or not?
b) is there something in my configuration I can do, that it is?

As a temporary “solution” I removed Firefox from the list of optimal browsers.

Best wishes

Daniel

By the way, can I translate the browserwarnings?

Several browsers are installed on my Windows laptop: Firefox (2 versions), also Brave, Vivaldi, Opera (webkit-based, utilizing open-source Chromium engine). (On Win10 Edge is present by default but I rarely use it.)

I’ve held Jitsi meetings on all of these with more or less satisfactory results. A major difference between FF and webkit browsers is that FF doesn’t appear to use p2p mode. At least in Jitsi sessions the little green icon info shows FF is communicating with the server over port 10000, that is, with the server videobridge. OTOH the webkit browsers indicate p2p mode is active.

I’m thinking that could explain the comparatively poorer performance of FF in Jitsi sessions with only 2 participants. Quite possibly there are FF config settings that make a difference—I haven’t yet exhaustively explored the options.

In any case all of the browsers have been adequate clients for my Jitsi server. None of the browsers stands head and shoulders above the others, they all have their quirks. Besides the frequent upgrades by vendors makes it difficult to compare performance. In that context having several browsers on my “device” is a good thing. Whenever a browser chokes on particular content likely enough one of the alternatives will handle it OK.

In my experience, Firefox works fine except with screensharing (and E2EE not being an option). One dev recommended me and other participants to only use Chrome/Chromium.

This morning I had again a participant who always lost the connection. I used my Firefox (81) and it worked.
She installed Chrome and it worked.

Is it possible that a firewall in a network or a local antivirus-software like Kapersky blocks something in Firefox and the same thing works in Chrome?

The major performance difference between Chrome (and all chrome based browsers) and FF is in my opinion support for simulcast, which older versions of FF (before 80) doesn’t support. Simulcast basically means sending/receiving only that video sizes, that the clients need.

So if one uses FF version <80, then he is sending only HD video stream to all participants (even if all have him in thumbnail) and that means performance hit for everyone. If all participants are FF users, than all are sending HD streams.

Otherwise, we had no problems using FF with jitsi, but we recommend Chrome as supported to our clients and if someone is using FF than we offer lesser support for them regarding any issues.

I dont count support for e2ee as of now as relevant, since even Chrome has this in experimental mode, which has to be manually turned on via features, so basically is not a standard thing.

1 Like

Yes, FF 81/82 has config option “media.peerconnection.simulcast” set true by default. The biggest difference I notice re: FF vs. chrome-based browsers is p2p mode apparently not being used by FF. For 3 or more participants that probably doesn’t matter. I’m not sure of other differences making FF less suitable for jitsi conferences.

I believe Chrome has had the insertable streams enabled by default since version 83. Jitsi Meet itself defaults to having e2ee disabled, but if it is enabled — as it is on meet.jit.si — it can have a devastating CPU impact on clients trying to use Chrome on lower-end computers. I’ve asked on this forum and there appears to be no way for individual end-users to choose to disable it; their only solution is to run Firefox or an old version of Chrome (<=80).

Have you tried using the Electron app? I think it has insertable streams enabled by default but I’m not sure if it’d use a similar or same amount of CPU as on Chrome.

Insertable streams are still under field trial, so they are not enabled by default. As I said earlier, insertable streams are no longer used while the call is not using e2ee, they are used when you turn it on.
@beninseattle you are having some other problem in my opinion, do you see the high cpu usage if you turn off local video? What about if others in the conference also mute, anything changes?
And are you testing on meet.jit.si?

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your replies.

If I resume, Firefox is mostly compatible to use with jitsi meet.

My other question was about the local network and firewalls.

I had a Firefox always losing connection. It is in our network behind a firewall. I connected the same machine with a mobile lan (smartphone hotspot) and it works.

I use a chrome browser in the same local network behind the firewall and it works too.

Another user uses kapersky antivirus. Firefox loses connection, chrome doesn’t.

So, ist there anything different, are the browsers using different ports or something I can configure, that both work? In my project I’m working with people who are not allowed to install software, even not chrome. Is the latest edge an alternative?

This topic may be related

Both are using same infrastructure, no different ports based on whether user uses Chrome or FF.
In that matter i think it’s safe to say, that they are both the same.

But i must say this once again, this applies to latest versions of both of them, eg even some older version of Chrome have network problems with firewalls and network infrastructure in some setup, one client reported this problems (video was dropped due to fw collision of some sort) and the solution was to upgrade Chrome and that worked.
I think this applies to both of them, usually using the latest version helps.

You are likely correct. I am testing on meet.jit.si. Are you sure that the e2ee worker thread is not running there? Is there any way for me to force it to stop if it is?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.