I'm at Jitsi Hackathon, need helps for a new Jitsi component, Jitas (Jitsi Assistant)

Hello everyone,

I have a project in Winning over the classroom with Jitsi Hackathon. First of all, I would like to state that we are free to get help from the Jitsi community.

I need test results, feedbacks, screenshots for docs, possible use cases etc.

Related links

how to test

• connect a Jitsi meeting room. For example https://meet.jit.si/hackathon
  • open a second browser tab and connect to Jitas demo server
  • click “Connect Meeting” icon and connect Jitas to the same meeting room. “hackathon” is already in pre-configured room list but you can use any meeting link
  • send feedbacks

thanks

6 Likes

This is amazing, I can send messages to ongoing meeting from a different machine.

1 Like

Sharing desktop on Jitsi using Jitas

1 Like

Great job, @emrah! :+1:t5:

How many simultaneous shares can it handle?

1 Like

I didn’t test more than 3 connections but the load is low. I think it can easily manage a big conference.

1 Like

That’s excellent news! Thanks for sharing!

Do you mean the desktop users? I frequently use noVNC with 5-6 colleagues.

What I mean with “big conference” that the desktop can be connected to many meeting rooms at the same time too

No, I actually meant meetings. Like how many concurrent meetings can the Jitas server host?

Where is the jitsi server? and where is the jitas virtual machine?

Are they on different servers?

I expect that they are?

I think I noticed a few dropped frames in the jit.si/hackathon meeting room to which I connected jitas to, but otherwise it worked very well. The jitas noVNC session was very slow, with lots of dropped frames.

I guess in answer to Freddie’s question about “many concurrent meetings can the Jitas server host”, I would have expected that you would need a separate Jitas server for each meeting? Would this be true?

1 Like

Today I’ll prepare a video for this use case too

Technically Jitas is very similar to Jibri. it can be

• on the same server
  • on a seperate server
  • on a container

The current installer is for a standalone Debian 10 Buster server.

noVNC is not for waching, it’s only to control the presentation… The participants have only Jitsi session.

Thanks for the extra information.

Movie time with Jitas

• one movie
  • multiple movie theaters (Jitsi rooms)
  • hundreds of interactive audiences
  • each audience group can only interact within their own group
2 Likes

Last 2 days in hackathon… If you have suggestions for the presentation (the slide show) it’s really appreciate

I made some tests. It seems that the room size (the number of participants) has no effect. It’s needed
1 core for HD streaming (720p, 25 fps) per meeting room

Let’s say there are 16 dedicated cores in the server:

• it’s possible to stream HD movie to 16 concurrent meetings
  • if there are 100 participants in each, the number of total audiences is ~1600
  • each group can communicate within their own group while waching the movie like a private movie theater

Okay… does this mean, there can be different streams (of different content) running concurrently? Meaning, for instance, Meeting A is streaming Movie1, Meeting B is streaming Movie2, Meeting 3 is streaming Movie3 e.t.c… with each stream (movie) being streamed and controlled independently.

Great and useful project overall, no matter what. :+1:t5:

Jitas sterams its desktop, not the video played by an application… Therefore each Jitas instance has only one video to stream, this is its desktop.

It’s needed more than one Jitas instance to stream different videos (desktops). Multiple instances can be located on the same host using containers.

It’s very similar to jibri.

Hi @emrah,

Thank you very much for your hard work. I tried it and I liked it. The ability to simply allow the participants to watch a video with quality audio is a breath of fresh air. Some questions though:

1. Will you provide instructions on how to install/run JITAS in the Jitsi server?
  2. Will you provide install instruction for non-debian install? e.g. Ubuntu LTS?
  3. Will you be providing instructions for running Jitas using containers?
  4. Is Jitas designed to be 1 Jitas instance/server per user? I was asking since the password for VNC will be known to all that you will be sharing the Jitas URL. How will you control the usage of JITAS per user since someone might access JITAS while someone is using it.
  5. What is the recommended way to copy files from user to JITAS as Jitas user does not have a password for scp / sftp?

Kind regards,

Hello @Kenren_Taisho,

Thanks for your interest

The hackathon continues at the moment and I’m focused on completing the project. After it, I may prepare some instructions for other enviroments according to the demands from the community. But Debian and LXC are my everyday environment/tools and I’m very comfortable with them. By the way I started to write a developer guide for people to customize it.

I embedded the password to the URL to simplify the demo. If password is not in the URL, it will ask for password after clicking the connect button.

It depends on the user habits.

• They can get from a cloud service (Nextcloud, dropbox etc) through browsers
  • over e-mail
  • the server admin can install a file sharing service on the server like FTP or set a password for the user or create many user accounts and allow scp