ICE - an "In Case of Emergency" facility

People,

For a particular individual, would it be possible for them to have permanent rooms set up - each with one or a few people to be notified immediately via email - but preferably via Telegram IM - when the room is activated?

ie When an emergency is in progress, the appropriate room is activated, then the appropriate people involved can see what is happening and can participate via voice and video if necessary.

Does this make sense? Is this currently possible?

Thanks,
Phil

Not sure I get your meaning, what I understand is that you want a service for dependent individuals (typically aged persons or something like that) to create a communication channel (room) and send invite to people dedicated to help them.
This is only making sense for phones if I understand you correctly - if an aged person has a bad fall in the basement, it would be absurd to expect the person to climb to the computer, get online, go to the site and create a room. If this is it, I think it’s possible with a customized version of the Jitsi-meet phone client.
It’s not possible with the standard version, you have to open the client, select a room, send notification. There is no one-click feature, but it could be done with some development.
If you have the know how (React dev) you can do it yourself, if not and you have some funding, hit the paid product section. My gut feeling is that it’s not a very complex requirement, but even with simple projects maintenance is the main cost problem.

Not necessarily - what I was thinking of is any day-to-day emergency - say a car accident (but it could be an elderly person and a carer I suppose) - then an ordinary person could have a conversation with emergency medical people in real-time (ie while they are waiting for the ambulance to arrive) and he / she could be showing the emergency people the actual situation . . of course the start of the jitsi process would have triggered a call to the ambulance at the same time as well . .

Yes, of course. Depending on the the person who needs the medical attention - if they are alone it is out of the question - in that case I am more interested in implantable devices which can monitor vital signs and produce electronic warnings of some sort - but that is another exercise . .

I am not sure what part you say is currently not possible - you have a citizen first-responder with the Jitsi app on their phone and you have eg the local ambulance station with jitsi on the desktop and an ambulance in the field with a phone. If there is already an agreed-upon room set up, if the citizen enters the room, doesn’t this alert other members who have access to the room?

If I can see a way forward I would be happy to pay someone to do what I want.

I did not understand what you intended. Theoretically a room could serve as a supervision system, yes. The main problem in this case is the one of all public video systems (like meet.jit.si): room management when there are several ‘calls’, including unwanted ones (spam).

Yes, I agree. However that argument should also apply to emergency phone numbers too? I am not sure if spam / irresponsible / dangerous calls are a serious problem on 911 (US) or 000 (Australia)? In this case the incoming calls would all be traceable to a mobile phone number and person (unless it was a “burner” phone) - which should discourage those sorts of calls?

I think a scenario like the following could work

• a customized mobile app connects to the randomly generated conference room

• A trigger script starts to run when a new room created or someone joins to the room. This is possible with a simple prosody module.

• The trigger script send a message to the emergency people, call the ambulance etc. It’s possible to catch the event type using the room name format (healt-181781, fire-72627 etc) which is choosen by the customized app. Needs API for the remote services

• Spams could be prevented using an embedded JWT only known by the customized app

@emrah ,

That all sounds like exactly like what I wanted!

JWT?

Thanks!
Phil.

Jitsi has a several authentication options, one of them is JWT… The properly configured Jitsi server will allow only the clients which have a valid token when JWT activated.

This token could be embedded the application permenantly or renewed periodically according to the clients’ rights.

1 Like