What is a meeting moderator? What can a moderator do? How is this role assigned? This post will help you understand more about the Jitsi Meet room moderators.
What can a moderator do?
- Ability to add a password to a room
- Ability to grant the moderator role to non-moderators
- Ability to kick non-moderators (and other moderators only if muc_owner_allow_kick.patch is applied)
- Ability to mute participates
- Ability to make everyone see the moderator video (Everyone follows me)
- Ability to make participates join muted (Everyone starts muted)
- Ability to make participates join without video (Everyone starts hidden)
- Ability to enable/disable the lobby room
- Ability to approve join/knocking requests (when the lobby is enabled)
- Ability to enable e2e encryption • beta (where available)
Who is a moderator?
When someone joins, who gets the moderator role?
For the default install:
- first participant to join is moderator
- when the moderator leaves, a new one is selected automatically
- selection occurs on the server side (by Prosody & Jicofo)
For the default install with secure domain:
- All authenticated users are moderators
- Guest users are not moderators and cannot create rooms
With mod_muc_allowners.lua enabled:
- everyone is a moderator
- this is the default behavior for https://meet.jit.si