How to install Jitsi on Ubuntu 18.04?

Hi,

I have been trying to install with my own SSL certificate Jitsi but until now I haven’t be able to succeed.

I followed; https://jitsi.org/blog/new-tutorial-installing-jitsi-meet-on-your-own-linux-server/

No success, is there any good documentation how to install correctly?

Regards and thanks

Rob

Did you happen to try the quick install manual?

https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/a876f78fd7ed0895b3a2595f70749abe27f3a9ae/doc/quick-install.md

Hi,

I did a reinstallation again and discovered that I can access via the IP address but not the fully qualified domain name.

Thanks,
I will try the steps which are mentioned in the article.

Regards,

Rob

I am getting this error in Firefox;

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Hi,

I have tried this installation but I cannot reach the server based on the FQDN?

Regards,

Rob

Hi,

I have been looking in the Nginx config files and noticed that the FQDN is configured on port 4444?

Regards,

Rob

You have to check your hostname and FQDN

hostname

then

hostname -f

you should have 2 different results for those.

If not then you have to set them properly.

nano /etc/hosts
127.0.1.1 yourdomain.com yourMachineName
134.101.130.224 yourdomain.com yourMachineName

Replace 134.101.130.224 with your server IP
When you had set up your server you gave it a name, that’s yourMachineName

then of course, after making these types of changes

sudo systemctl restart apache2

Hi,

hostname and hostname -f gives two different results
Hostname is FQDN and hostname -f give localhost.
The documentation mentioned 127.0.0.1
So I have to change 127.0.0.1 ?
And also put the IP address

I am not running Apache but Nginx and the FDQN is configured on port 4444 and it looks like I cannot change this to port 443?

Regards,

Rob

Hi,

To be clear I can access via https://fqdn:4444

Regards,

Rob

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t have good documentation to install correctly. It is unclear to me what needs to be filled in the /etc/hosts file to make this work.

I can approach via FQDN:4444 but not FQDN:443.

I can approach via IP address:443

Unfortunately I don’t have any more time to spent so for me I have to cancel this project. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Rob

Apparently you put FQDN literally in /etc/hosts like 127.0.0.1 localhost FQDN, don’t you?

You have to replace FQDN with your own domain name.

Hi,

Anybody knows how to install correctly on Ubuntu 18.04 ?
What are the correct settings for the /etc/hosts file?

And what about why it only connects on port 4444 via a fqdn and not op port 443?

Regards,

Rob

Please try this: Jitsi Meet Install Guide for Ubuntu 18.04 on DigitalOcean.com

This is one of the best Jitsi installation manual I have seen. If you follow that guide exactly then it must be able for you to set up your own Jitsi instance.

1 Like

If it helps, I only needed to use the loopback address in the hosts file. (127.0.0.1), I too had problems with nginx, so I swapped over to apache. I’m just using a self-signed cert. at the moment, as it was giving me problems running the script included with jitsi to get the acme free cert.
You could also try port forwarding 443 to 4444 in your router, but it’s probably configurable someplace in /etc/nginx.