[How to] How to customize meeting options

Jitsi Meet conferences are started with a default set of options, optimized for the best experience for most situations. However, there are many meeting options available for you to customize.

Want do disable YouTube videos? No problem. Want everyone to start muted? You got it!

:star:This topic will help you understand how to enable and disable common features.

Option Categories and Locations

Options are split into two main categories, UI configuration (interface_config) and system & feature configuration (config). The table below highlights the difference between the two.

interface_config config
Info mainly UI related options a mix of settings and feature options
File Location (self-hosted) /usr⁩/share⁩/jitsi-meet⁩/interface-config.js /etc/jitsi/meet/[your-domain-name]-config.js
iframe variable interfaceConfigOverwrite configOverwrite
URL parameter interfaceConfig config
All Options link link
Options available to URL & iframe link link
iframe Example link link
URL Example Filmstrip Only mode: https://meet.jit.si/example-101#interfaceConfig.filmStripOnly=true Prejoin page enabled: https://meet.jit.si/example-101#config.prejoinPageEnabled=true

:bulb: If you are overwriting options in the URL or iframe, you cannot access all options. Only a subset of options have been whitelisted. For example, you cannot remove the Jitsi logo. See the “Available to URL overwriting & iframe” row above

Learn By Example

Let’s start with an example. Let’s enable the prejoin page and disable the ability to ‘Kick’ others.

1. Single Meeting Example

Disable kick and enable the prejoin page for a single meeting by adding #config.prejoinPageEnabled=true&config.remoteVideoMenu.disableKick=true to the URL you share with your meeting invitees.

For example: https://meet.jit.si/example-102#config.prejoinPageEnabled=true&config.remoteVideoMenu.disableKick=true

:triangular_flag_on_post: A word of caution with disabling kick using the URL: If you share this link with a participant, they can simply modify their URL before they join and still be able to kick others.

(keywords: URL overload, URL override, URL overriding, URL overwriting, URL options)

2. All Meetings Example

Disable kick and enable the prejoin page for all meetings by setting prejoinPageEnabled and disableKick to true in your config.

If you are hosting your own server:

First, edit your /etc/jitsi/meet/[your-domain-name]-config.js (not interface_config) and uncomment the remoteVideoMenu section to make it look like this:

remoteVideoMenu: {
        disableKick: true
    }

Next, uncomment // prejoinPageEnabled: false, and change it to prejoinPageEnabled: true,. Save the file

If you are using the iframe API, use:

configOverwrite:
    {
        remoteVideoMenu:
        {
            disableKick: true,
        },
        prejoinPageEnabled: true,
    },

Other iframe examples:

Rinse and Repeat

Using the list of available options in the table above, use this same technique for other options.

:globe_with_meridians: Here is a complex URL example with settings from both “config” and “interface_config”. Give it a try and notice the difference in toolbar buttons and profile options:
https://meet.jit.si/example-103#config.startWithVideoMuted=true&interfaceConfig.TOOLBAR_BUTTONS=%5B%22microphone%22%2C%22camera%22%2C%22desktop%22%2C%22fullscreen%22%2C%22hangup%22%2C%22profile%22%2C%22settings%22%2C%22videoquality%22%5D&interfaceConfig.SETTINGS_SECTIONS=%5B%22devices%22%2C%22language%22%5D&interfaceConfig.TOOLBAR_ALWAYS_VISIBLE=true

By the way those are url encoded characters, above. The %22 is a double quote " and %2C is a comma ,. %5B and %D are [ and ] respectively.

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

This is a very useful write-up, @corby. Thanks for sharing! :clap:t5:

I noticed you have the security shield, sharing icon and a lot of options removed from the pop-up menu. I imagine this is set for meeting attendants (the moderator still has full access to the entire library of settings). Is there any reference in the knowledge-base here on how to do this? Please direct, if so.

Thanks!

@Freddie,

Yes. The URL example at the end of the post above is showing how to combine many parameters into a single link. This would apply to everyone who joins the meeting using that link. It’s true a moderator could join using another link with different options.

1 Like

Great! Thank you!

Hi @corby,

Great work !! Thanks for sharing !

I was wondering if we could add our own interfaceConfig field.

Such as we could pass a speaker array in the API while loading a room.
interfaceConfigOverwrite:

{
    speakerList: [ {XX},{YY} ]
}

And access them in our React functions as per our need.

I know it is a long shot, but can we do something similar currently.

I’m just curious !!

@damencho

You will also need to add it in the whitelist of configs that are allowed

Thanks @damencho

I was able to add a custom field in the interfaceConfigOverwrite. Anyone you us interested refer the following steps:

Add your field in the below file
Whilelist file path : jitsi-meet/react/features/base/config/interfaceConfigWhitelist.js

For including your field in react component add following lines in your component:
In my case I edited react/features/base/premeeting/components/web/CopyMeetingUrl.js

declare var interfaceConfig: Object;

const your_custom_field = interfaceConfig.yourcustomfield;

Happy Coding !!

1 Like

Great info, thanks.
I think this post should considered to be added to the official documentation.

Consider me a newbie when it comes to javascript, iFrame API and Jitsi but I have a couple of questions.

1. I’d like to use a URL like https://meet.jit.si/example-103 with the DisplayName and eMail added to the URL.
  2. I’d like to have a form that could interact with the iFrame API to create the RoomName, DisplayName and email.

On submit of the form it would open in a new window calling the Jitsi server with those 3 values.

I’d pay good money for those two solutions.