[How to] How do I update Prosody?

Have you already installed Jitisi-Meet using the steps outlined in the Quick Start / Handbook and now you want to enable other features like “speakerstats” or “conferenceduration”? Maybe you are not getting muc-occupant-joined and muc-occupant-left events in your modules?

Some of these features in Jitsi Meet require Prosody 0.11.2 +

:information_source: Note: If you update prosody before installing jitsi-meet, then things will just work. Follow only steps 1 - 4 below, then continue with your to install Jitsi

What version of Prosody do you have? Run apt list -a prosody

To update Prosody after Jitsi Meet has been installed, follow these steps:

1. Add the repo to your sources.list
    echo deb http://packages.prosody.im/debian $(lsb_release -sc) main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Get the packages key
    wget https://prosody.im/files/prosody-debian-packages.key -O- | sudo apt-key add -

3. Update repositories
    sudo apt-get update

4. Install the latest
    sudo apt-get install prosody

5. If there was a conflict with your “cfg” while updating, you would have seen it during the install. You may have a backup filed named prosody.cfg.lua.dpkg-old. If you had something special in there, you could move it back in place with:
    sudo mv /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua.new && sudo mv /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua.dpkg-old /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua

6. Make sure the last line in your prosody.cfg.lua is Include "conf.d/*.cfg.lua"
    sudo vi /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua
    (I also commented out VirtualHost "localhost" to --VirtualHost "localhost")

7. Edit your prosody config and change storage from “none” to “memory”:
    vi /etc/prosody/conf.avail/meet.domain.com.cfg.lua
    Replace: storage = "none" with storage = "memory"
    Failure to do this will cause errors like OperationFailedException: Failed to join the room and Exception while trying to start the conference

8. Restart service prosody restart && service jicofo restart

Other messages that this post helps with:

• conference duration will not work with Prosody version 0.10 or less.
  • speaker stats will not work with Prosody version 0.10 or less.
5 Likes

Thank you for writing these up :slight_smile: Just followed these instructions and now I’m getting a GET_SESSION_ID_ERROR when I try to log in to a room. Any ideas?

It was because I’d missed one of the storage = "none" lines in the configuration. Now that they’re all set to storage = "memory" it’s all working as it should. Thanks again for writing this up; it’s been a great help :slight_smile:

1 Like

during the update everything is fine till step 5 but i didn’t see the line in step 6 what to do??

@Dibyajyoti_Prusty,

Just add Include "conf.d/*.cfg.lua" at the bottom, as the last line of /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua. Also comment out VirtualHost "localhost" as stated in step 6.

1 Like

@corby I have followed your mentioned steps but now when users are joining lets say room “abc” they are not able join same room

Only single user is visible

Read back through and make sure you did everything as described. Some people miss parts of setup 6 or step 7. If you still have issues, maybe you can attach your 2 Prosody cfg files and the log file for the community to review.

Also, if you had other issues before attempting to update Prosody, that’s will remain. If all else fails, start fresh but update Prosody before installing Jitsi Meet.

Hope this helps!