[How to] How do I update Prosody?

Have you already installed Jitisi-Meet using the steps outlined in the Quick Start / Handbook and now you want to enable other features like “speakerstats” or “conferenceduration”? Maybe you are not getting muc-occupant-joined and muc-occupant-left events in your modules?

Some of these features in Jitsi Meet require Prosody 0.11.2 +

:information_source: Note: If you update prosody before installing jitsi-meet, then things will just work. Follow only steps 1 - 4 below, then continue with your to install Jitsi

What version of Prosody do you have? Run apt list -a prosody

To update Prosody after Jitsi Meet has been installed, follow these steps:

1. Add the repo to your sources.list
    echo deb http://packages.prosody.im/debian $(lsb_release -sc) main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Get the packages key
    wget https://prosody.im/files/prosody-debian-packages.key -O- | sudo apt-key add -

3. Update repositories
    sudo apt-get update

4. Install the latest
    sudo apt-get install prosody

5. If there was a conflict with your “cfg” while updating, you would have seen it during the install. You may have a backup filed named prosody.cfg.lua.dpkg-old. If you had something special in there, you could move it back in place with:
    sudo mv /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua.new && sudo mv /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua.dpkg-old /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua

6. Make sure the last line in your prosody.cfg.lua is Include "conf.d/*.cfg.lua"
    sudo vi /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua
    (I also commented out VirtualHost "localhost" to --VirtualHost "localhost")

7. Edit your prosody config and change storage from “none” to “memory”:
    vi /etc/prosody/conf.avail/meet.domain.com.cfg.lua
    Replace: storage = "none" with storage = "memory"
    Failure to do this will cause errors like OperationFailedException: Failed to join the room and Exception while trying to start the conference

8. Restart service prosody restart && service jicofo restart

Other messages that this post helps with:

• conference duration will not work with Prosody version 0.10 or less.
  • speaker stats will not work with Prosody version 0.10 or less.
1 Like

Thank you for writing these up :slight_smile: Just followed these instructions and now I’m getting a GET_SESSION_ID_ERROR when I try to log in to a room. Any ideas?

It was because I’d missed one of the storage = "none" lines in the configuration. Now that they’re all set to storage = "memory" it’s all working as it should. Thanks again for writing this up; it’s been a great help :slight_smile:

1 Like