How to avoid 8X8 commercial?

I use the external Jitsi API (‘https://meet.jit.si/external_api.js’) to allow the participants of an online conference to communicate in pairs. This works fine the first time. However, when I reenter this feature, I see an add from 8x8 and need to scroll down for the video communication. This is very confusing for new users of the tool. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I tried randomizing the roomName and the userInfo.displayName, but that did not help.
I use the following call (in javascript):

var api;
const domain = ‘meet.jit.si’;
let options = {
roomName: response.url,
width: ‘100%’,
height: ‘100%’,
userInfo: {
displayName: mycomm.myname + “_” + myRand,
},
parentNode: document.querySelector(’#videoParentNode’)
};
api = new JitsiMeetExternalAPI(domain, options);

Best
Gunther Maier

You could try SHOW_POWERED_BY: false, and SHOW_PROMOTIONAL_CLOSE_PAGE: false,

Thank you for your reply. However, it does not work. Since I could not find these options in the Jitsi Meet API documentation at https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/api.md, I used the following:

let options = {
roomName: response.url,
width: ‘100%’,
height: ‘100%’,
userInfo: {
displayName: mycomm.myname + “_” + myRand,
},
SHOW_POWERED_BY: false,
SHOW_PROMOTIONAL_CLOSE_PAGE: false,
parentNode: document.querySelector(’#videoParentNode’)
};

That did not work.

try adding this code, should work

configOverwrite:{

},
        interfaceConfigOverwrite:{
            DEFAULT_BACKGROUND: "#3b98ff",
            SHOW_JITSI_WATERMARK: false,
            noSsl: true,
            JITSI_WATERMARK_LINK: '#',
            SHOW_BRAND_WATERMARK: false,
            SHOW_WATERMARK_FOR_GUESTS: false,
            SHOW_POWERED_BY: false,
            TOOLBAR_BUTTONS: [
                'microphone', 'camera', 'closedcaptions', 'desktop', 'fullscreen',
                'fodeviceselection', 'hangup', 'profile', 'recording',
                'livestreaming', 'etherpad', 'sharedvideo', 'settings', 'raisehand',
                'videoquality', 'filmstrip', 'feedback', 'stats', 'shortcuts',
                'tileview'
            ],
        }
    }
    var api = new JitsiMeetExternalAPI(domain, options);
    api.executeCommands({
        toggleShareScreen: [],
        toggleVideo: [],
        toggleAudio: []
    });
   });
</script>

Thank you for your code. It is helpful, but does not solve the problem. I checked the content of the page and found out that the server iframes with ids “jitsiConferenceFrame0”, “jitsiConferenceFrame1” and so on, where only the last one is the video frame. All the others are 8x8 commercial frames.
I have “solved” the problem by looping through ids 0 to 9, setting all that exist to “hide” and then setting the one with the highest number to “show”. It is a wild hack. So, I still hope for a more direct solution.

1 Like

In my case the 8x8 commercial get populated within the jitsiConferenceFrame0 iframe. Actually, jitsiConferenceFrame0 is the only iframe that gets generated in my case. Any suggestions?

The Jitsi demo server is now owned by 8x8. that is the root of the problem. as long as the 8x8 clowns own the Jitsi server, they will stick whatever trash they want on your meeting screen, e.g., the advertisement mentioned in yr post. The only solution is to put yr meetings on yr own machine or on someone else’s machine, e.g., Vultr. The latter by the way are great folks to deal with, very honest, very helpful, and inexpensive. They also provide a one-click install option for Jitsi.

Is anyone finding this problem when they install a Jitsi server on their own machines, i.e., has 8x8 forced the Jitsi developers to put their ad on the Github package?

@kloro2006 Stop spreading FUD. The ad is just shown after a meeting ends, it doesn’t impede you from having meetings so this " stick whatever trash they want on your meeting screen" you say is just untrue.

As for the original issue, @gunthermaier, what you see is the close page. When using the external API you want to hide / destroy the iframe before it’s displayed. The readyToClose event. You can see how we use it for the Electron app for example: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/blob/8de41a414d879d3692db4dfa4fc55ce5196779d1/app/features/conference/components/Conference.js#L267

2 Likes

@gunthermaier can you help me how you solved that 8x8 commercial issue. I also use meet-jit-si

May First is a membership organization. You have a free account without signing up. If you want a full individual membership, it’s 100/year. A basic membership is 25/year. Support is superb, at least for full membership. Haven’t tried basic.

They took the ad away for awhile and this evening I was about to post about it and take my complaints down. Before doing so, I checked meet.jit.si. Indeed, they have put the ad back up.

My “whatever trash they want,” was a bit extreme. That said, let me ask: do you think it objectionable that people use this forum to complain about the ad?

Thanks, by the way, for the work you’re doing for the Jitsi community. And know that I would very much like to support 8x8, since they do help us. But their business practices are terrible (Google [Better Business Bureau 8x8] about this) and their support for paid accounts (I had one for 3 months) is also terrible, although better than Zoom’s. And, of course, there is that ad.

100%. meet.jit.si is a free to use instance provided by 8x8, if you don’t like how some things are configured there, you are more than welcome to run your own. Or use another free instance, it’s not like there a shortage of them. We have done a lot of work to make sure doing this is as simple as possible and provide a couple of ways to do it easily: Docker or Debian / Ubuntu packages.

I can’t comment on that because I don’t work on any of those teams. I get that you may not like everything 8x8 does in certain areas, but you are posting in the Jitsi community forum, which is wrong place to bring paid accounts or 8x8 support into the picture, as we are not in charge of those.

I appreciate your answering my question and, as I’ve said before, your work for the community. And I regret that I cannot use the 8x8 platform, mainly because of the problem it creates for those attending my meetings with a PC. Again, May First is a vastly superior alternative. It’s a membership organization. Full dues are 100/yr for individuals. Their support is remarkable. Their server is at https://meet.mayfirst.org.