How can we integrate JITSI in our application?

We want to integrate JITSI video calling services in our Application.
Please brief me about plans and guide us to start integration.

Welcome to the forum.

You can look into using the iFrame API:

And what about the all features and subscription plan ?
We want to schedule one session with JITSI team, but still can’t get success for brief discussion.
Kindly guide us. So we can get brief knowledge about JITSI Services which is suitable for our app or not.

AFAIK there is a community call today.

I have visit this link.
I feel it is more related to technical, but our concern is first get to know more features and subscription plan for example “Home many people can join in one meeting and is there any cost related that ? etc…”
Kindly guide us how I got to know these all brief knowledge ?

If you team has the technical expertise to host your own Jitsi servers, then there is no cost other than that of your server hosting (servers, network costs, etc).

If you are looking for a hosted solution, the take a look at the Jitsi as a Service page for details – https://jaas.8x8.vc

I refer the link => About Jitsi Meet | Free Video Conferencing Solutions
I have one question that, is it totally free service ?
We just need to integrate in our mobile app/ web app . That’s it !!?

Thanks.
Really useful your comments.

Yes, meet.jit.si is free as long as you comply with the term of use

Is server hosting (servers, network costs, etc) will provide JITSI itself ?
Or Can we build our own server for JITSI services?

By “cost of server hosting”, I meant the cost or running your own servers – this could be your own hardware that you run on premise, VMs in the cloud, servers in rent from some data centre somewhere, etc. They all have associated cost (server cost, electricity, data transfer, etc)

We have taken Linux Vps server, if we integrate video API of JITSI on our server then What about JITSI’s own server cost ? They will be taken from us !!?
Or May be I am not understanding the exact cost which JITSI will take from us…

As per my understanding, JITSI will not take any kind of cost from us if we use our own server.
Let me correct if I am getting wrong.

If you have any idea that JITSI will take these and those cost form us then please let me know.

That is right. No cost for Jitsi if you install it on your own server.

The specs of the server depend on your need. Maximum number of participants, number of concurrent meetings, etc.

Ok Still I have lot of question.
Let me explain by live UseCase…

• There are 100 Teachers per month.
  • Each Teacher will teach 70 students that means
    Students in one Month => 100*70 = 7000
  • So how many cost will charge for handling 7000 Students !!?

How can I define this and get exact calculation!!?

I have create an account on JITSI as Service and it shows basic plan JassDev, please refer attachment… If we cross this limit then it will chargable… So how can we define that, JITSI provides free services !!?

Please clear my understanding, I think I am not getting this point also.

To summarize it simply:

• If you use JAAS, you will eventually need to pay (considering the load you’re expecting to support)
  • If you host your own Jitsi server, you don’t have to pay (outside of whatever you need to pay to secure your own server, bandwidth e.t.c…)

Based on you responses so far, I think you are confusing Jitsi with JaaS – Jitsi is software, JaaS is a service.

Here’s a brain dump to flesh out the differences.

Jitsi:

• Jitsi is a collection of software projects that you can be used to provide video conferencing services. (See Architecture | Jitsi Meet)
  • All these software are open source and free. They are licensed under the Apache 2.0 license, which means you can use/modify/redistribute for personal or commercial use at no cost. All the source code is available in github – Jitsi · GitHub
  • You can install the services on your own server and this will allow you to host video conferences without having to pay the people behind Jitsi. Instructions on how to do that are here: Self-Hosting Guide - Overview | Jitsi Meet

If you have the relevant skills, then installing Jitsi on your own server is relatively simple. This gives you full control over the server configuration, branding, authentication method, etc.

However, bear in mind that while it is easy to setup up a basic Jitsi installation for small scale usage, it will require a lot of resources (servers are cheap, but bandwidth can be very expensive) and expertise to set up and manage a highly scalable and highly available service for large scale production use. There is also the ongoing hidden cost of having skilled people on staff to keep the server updated with the latest Jitsi version to keep up with browser changes.

For that reason, many people choose to use Jitsi installations that are managed by the experts, and integrate it with their app such that all video calls get routed to servers provided by these third parties.

There are many options for hosted Jitsi solutions, but the more prominent ones are JaaS and meet.jit.si.

meet.jit.si:

• meet.jit.si is a free service that uses Jitsi.
  • It is maintained by the same people that built Jitsi
  • You can use it to host meetings by simply visiting https://meet.jit.si, or integrating with you app using the IFrame API, but you are not allowed to change or obscure the branding.
  • There is no auth and everyone that joins become moderators.

Jitsi as a Service (JaaS):

• JaaS is a paid service.
  • Pricing is based on Monthly Active Users.
  • Under the hood, it uses Jitsi code, and it is maintained by the same people that built Jitsi so you know you are in good hands.
  • You can integrate with your app using the IFrame API or the Jitsi SDK or even the low level lib-jitsi-meet libraries. (see Overview)
  • You have control over branding
  • User authentication is via JWT tokens, and by using different payload in the tokens, you can control user roles and permissions
  • … and access to lots of features e.g. webhooks, analytics, dial-in, recording, etc.
2 Likes

Thanks for the brief knowledge. I have go through it.
Can you explain what are the all feature List will be provided by meet.jisti !!?
The documentation is not upToDate I guess, I think it is working in Progress => User Guide | Jitsi Meet

And as you said " * There is no auth and everyone that joins become moderators.* "
What should we do for the Authentication process ? Please guide me.

I’m not sure if there is a complete official list of features provided by Jitsi. There is A LOT, and it is under very active deployment so features are constantly being added and updated.

Can I suggest you do the following to get an initial idea of what is available:

1. Have a few calls with you colleagues using https://meet.jit.si and explore the features
  2. Read through the handbook – Jitsi Meet | Jitsi Meet
  3. Read thought the sample config file – jitsi-meet/config.js at master · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub – this would be the config you can customise if you host your own Jitsi server
  4. Browse this forum and see what people are discussing
  5. Attend the community call to get updates from the Jitsi team. You can also watch previous calls in youtube.

Once you have a better idea of what you want to achieve, try it out. And when you have a specific issue that you are not able to solve, or need some clarification, then post on this forum and someone might be able to help.

As things are constantly being improved, it will always be “work in progress”. It is still a good starting point.

That is only for the free meet.jit.si service. If you need authentication, you should subscribe to JaaS or deploy your own servers.

We have started to integrate meet.jitsi
Is any trial account needed for this ?
developer ask for AppId and token, but we don’t know from where we can create account with AppId on meet.jitsi ?