How can I connect to own server via IPad mobile app?

Hi guys,

I posted this a few days ago in the category “users”, but didn’t hear anything so far, so I try it again here.

I have problems to connect with the newest Jitsi Meet IPad Mobile App (on iOS 13.1.2) to my own Jitsi Meet server.

We have the Jitsi Meet System for educational purposes. I use a Router with no internet connection to handle the internal IP adresses to reach my own internal Jitsi Meet server (on Ubuntu 18.04.3). If I connect to the internet (for test purposes only), I can connect to meet.jit.si via the Jitsi Meet Mobile App (Version 19.3.1 build 37). If I want to connect via Mobile Safari, the software advises me to use the Jitsi Meet mobile app.
This setup did work in the past with an older version of the Jitsi Meet mobile app, but unfortunately not with the newest version.

Is there anyone, who can help me, please?

Greetings from Germany,

Jan

Hi there,

I’m not sure I understood what the problem is, sorry. Can you please clarify what steps you are following to connect, what worked before and what doesn’t work now?

Hello saghul,

thank you for your answer to my question.

As I mentioned, we use the JitsiMeet software in an educational scenario for “Bug-In-Ear-Coaching”, which means, that one teacher is in the classroom with two IPads with the JitsiMeet-App, and another teacher is in another room, a couple of meters away, live-coaching the classroom-teacher with a laptop, and the JitsiMeet-software in a firefox browser.

For that, I use a laptop with Ubuntu 18.04.3, on which an instance of the JitsiMeet server is running, and also the client for the coach is running on this laptop.

All devices are connected via WiFi to a NAT-Router (TP-Link Archer C9) with static internal IP-Adresses. The Router has no internet connection, because it would legally not be allowed (here in Baden-Württemberg, Germany) to use an internet connection for such purposes.

This scenario worked without problems with an older version of the JitsiMeet-App (unfortunately I don’t know the version number now; I think it could be 19.2.0, but I’m not sure). I had entered the server’s IP-Adress in the settings of the JitsiMeet-App, and the connection was established.

Now I had done an update to the new version of the JitsiMeet-App on the IPads (which is version 19.3.1 now), and when I want to start a call now with the two IPads, the App trys to connect, but finshes this attempt after a couple of seconds with the error message “your connection has been disconnected. Please check your network connection. Connecting again in x seconds” (free translation, because it’s in German).

I only can connect the firefox client for the coach, but unfortunately not the IPads.

Additionally, I have to tell, that I had this problem before, a couple of months ago, but shortly after that appeared a new version, which fixed it for me. But now that problem showed again.

I hope I could help you with this information now. If there remains something unclear, please feel free to ask me again.

Greetings,

Jan

EDIT: I forgot to tell, that we use the Swivl-System with one of the IPads (in case you don’t know what that is: https://www.swivl.com/). The reason I made the JitsiMeet-App update was, that I can’t get the audio from the Swivl-Markers in JitsiMeet, but in Skype it seems to work, at least for test purposes). In JitsiMeet, it seems that I can get only the audio from the internal IPad microphone. Do you have an idea, how to solve this problem, too?

Thanks for all the details. Let’s see if I can help!

I don’t recall any change we could have done which would break it and then fix it in your scenario.

Can you check the Jitsi Meet settings to double check your internal serverr is listed there? Are you using https for it? This may sound silly but, have you tried to connect to that URL from the browser? Do you get any TLS errors?

Last, how does your config.js file look like?

Nice device, didn’t know about it! Do you see the device listed in the dropdown if you pick “Select sound device”? One limitation Jitsi currently has is that the devices you can select must have inputs AND outputs. A microphone won’t show up, but a mic / speaker combo should.

Hello saghul,

here is, what I found out so far:
The internal server is listed in the Jitsi Meet settings in the field “Server URL” as “https://192.168.0.100/”. That’s correct.
I have a self-signed HTTPS certificate for that connection (automatically created as in the quick install guide in https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/quick-install.md), and I distributed it also to the IPads and installed it there.

I tried to connect to the URL from the safari browser on the IPads, but then the system tells me “You need the Jitsi Meet mobile app to join this meeting on your phone.” Then I tried to connect to the URL from another computer (Lubuntu with Firefox); but then i got the error message “Unfortunately, something went wrong”.

Thank you also for that tip with the Swivl-Markers; it’s right: the markers don’t have outputs, only microphone inputs. Thats why I don’t see them in the device list. You said, that is currently a limitation of Jitsi Meet; is there any chance to use also devices with only input or output in the near future?

Thank you very much for your help.

EDIT: Here’s my config.js file, I hope it is the right file; I had to rename it because of upload limitations.
192.168.0.100-config.js.txt (14.9 KB)

This suggests something is wrong with the setup on the server side or the network, rather than the mobile app itself. I suggest you do the troubleshooting with 2 browsers, since it’s easier to inspect the logs.

Speaking of which: what does the JS console show?

I don’t think so, at least in the short term. It would complicate our device management quite a bit, I think. What other Jitsi-like applications have you tested which allow for different mic selection? Any chance you could share a screenshot? That may make a case for it.

Looks ok. The IP hasn’t changed, has it?

Looking at the JavaScript console logs from the browser, in addition to the Prosody, Jicofo and JVB logs from the server would help here.

Hi saghul,
sorry for the delay, but I am very busy at the moment.

The console log file can be found in the uploaded zip file.

We have tested it only with skype; there it worked out-of-the-box, so we hadn’t to change anything.
But since we are not allowed to use it in a productional system, we searched for an alternative. And so we came to Jitsi Meet, which additionally allowed us to create our own server. So we are in our scenario completely independent from the internet, which is even better.
Is it possible to mix the input streams from the internal mic and the Swivl marker mic together, and then transfer the mixed stream to jitsi meet? Do you know any (freeware) iOS app, that does this?

Nope; it has always been the “192.168.0.100”.

The console log file, the prosody log file, the Jicofo log file, and the JVB log file can be found in the uploaded zip file (I had to rename it due to upload limitations); I hope it helps.
jitsi meet logs.zip.txt (1.3 MB)

Interesting, I’ll take a look, but I’m making no promises :slight_smile:

I don’t think this is possible with iOS.

The logs were insightful.

In console.log:

[conference.js] <_onConferenceFailed>:  CONFERENCE FAILED: conference.videobridgeNotAvailable Logger.js:125

And in jicofo.log:

Jicofo 2019-11-02 15:52:50.387 INFORMATION: [36] org.jitsi.jicofo.JitsiMeetConferenceImpl.log() Member bie@conference.192.168.0.100/aca3deb7 joined.
Jicofo 2019-11-02 15:52:50.388 SCHWERWIEGEND: [36] org.jitsi.jicofo.JitsiMeetConferenceImpl.log() Can not invite participant -- no bridge available.
Jicofo 2019-11-02 15:52:50.388 SCHWERWIEGEND: [36] org.jitsi.jicofo.JitsiMeetConferenceImpl.log() Can not invite participant -- no bridge available.

Looks like Jicofo is unaware of the JVB. Can you try restarting it? How have you configured the JVB connection, using the component connection or MUC?

Cheers,