How can I add extra jvb in docker meet

I have installed whole package using docker-jitsi-meet (https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet) and it is working fine. But i want to configure multiple jvb for handling multiple conference call.

1 Like

Are you planning to deploy the extra JVB in the same server or a different server ?

I am currently trying to achieve the same.
But unfortunately can’t get it running.
I Have Jitsi-Web, Jicofo and Prosody running on one AWS Instance (as Docker Containers) and have JVB2 running as a standalone installation running on a separate AWS Instance.

Unfortunately my JVB refuses to connect to Prosody/Jicofo though I cannot use JitsiMeet.

Any help would be really appreciated, since we need that system to scale properly in future.

@creativeguitar
In different server

Are you planning to deploy the extra JVB in the same server or a different server ?

First thing you should do is modify the docker-compose.yml file to only deploy the JVB and not the whole stack.
docker-compose file should look like this
version: ‘3’

services:
   # Video bridge
    jvb:
        #image: jitsi/jvb
        build: ./jvb
        ports:
            - '${JVB_PORT}:${JVB_PORT}/udp'
            - '${JVB_TCP_PORT}:${JVB_TCP_PORT}'
            - '4096:4096/udp'
        volumes:
            - ${CONFIG}/jvb:/config
        environment:
            - DOCKER_HOST_ADDRESS
            - XMPP_DOMAIN
            - XMPP_AUTH_DOMAIN
            - XMPP_INTERNAL_MUC_DOMAIN
            - XMPP_SERVER
            - JVB_AUTH_USER
            - JVB_AUTH_PASSWORD
            - JVB_BREWERY_MUC
            - JVB_PORT
            - JVB_TCP_HARVESTER_DISABLED
            - JVB_TCP_PORT
            - JVB_STUN_SERVERS
            - JVB_ENABLE_APIS
            - JVB_OCTO_BIND_PORT
            - JVB_OCTO_REGION
            - TZ
    #    depends_on:
    #        - prosody
        networks:
            meet.jitsi:
                aliases:
                    - ${JVB_AUTH_USER}.${XMPP_DOMAIN}

# Custom network so all services can communicate using a FQDN
networks:
    meet.jitsi:

Change the variable name in the .env file JVB_AUTH_USER=JVB2

in your main server, edit prosody/rootfs/etc/cont-init.d/10-config and add the following line under the block that looks similar to this (should be around line 39), this is to register 2nd jvb to prosody.

prosodyctl --config $PROSODY_CFG register JVB2 $XMPP_AUTH_DOMAIN $JVB_AUTH_PASSWORD

you might have to change docker-compose.yml in your main server as well to build locally, otherwise it wont take your changes in 10-config file.

prosody:
#image: jitsi/prosody
build: ./prosody
expose:
- ‘5222’
- ‘5347’
- ‘5280’
ports:
- ‘5222:5222’
- ‘5347:5347’
- ‘5280:5280’
volumes:
- ${CONFIG}/prosody:/config

@creativeguitar thanks

will try this today

1 Like

did you manage to get it working ?

Will try this tonight, right now busy in deployment

Hi, did you manage to get this working ?

Hello all, I tried same with docker swarm and I’m able to scale it to 3 replicas and it worked. But I’m having some issue when scaling prosody and jicofo. Scaling isn’t working on both. I scaled both of them to 2 replicas but If i killed previous running prosody or jifoco container then it stopped the meeting. If anyone knows any work around then please do share.

Thanks

Why are you trying to scale prosody and jicofo ? you can deploy multiple videobridge and connect them to the same prosody/jicofo server

Because I thought that if something went wrong with current prosody and jicofo instances and they can switch to other replicated instance but it seems that it is not possible. Also If a single instance get killed then swarm will take care by itself. So, just replicating JVB is better approach.

I have couple of queries:

1. If I want to use my own domain then Do I have to make some changes to the config files or just changing the .env file variables is fine.

2. How can I change the Jisti logo(logo during video call) by custom logo.

you can connect a video bridge to multiple prosody instances, you will need to modify your jvb sip config file

org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.HOSTNAME={{ .Env.XMPP_SERVER_1 }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.DOMAIN={{ .Env.XMPP_AUTH_DOMAIN }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.USERNAME={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_USER }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.PASSWORD={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_PASSWORD }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.MUC_JIDS={{ .Env.JVB_BREWERY_MUC }}@{{ .Env.XMPP_INTERNAL_MUC_DOMAIN }}
#org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.MUC_NICKNAME={{ .Env.HOSTNAME }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.MUC_NICKNAME={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_USER }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.DISABLE_CERTIFICATE_VERIFICATION=true

org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.HOSTNAME={{ .Env.XMPP_SERVER_2 }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.DOMAIN={{ .Env.XMPP_AUTH_DOMAIN }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.USERNAME={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_USER }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.PASSWORD={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_PASSWORD }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.MUC_JIDS={{ .Env.JVB_BREWERY_MUC }}@{{ .Env.XMPP_INTERNAL_MUC_DOMAIN }}
#org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.MUC_NICKNAME={{ .Env.HOSTNAME }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.MUC_NICKNAME={{ .Env.JVB_AUTH_USER }}
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard1.DISABLE_CERTIFICATE_VERIFICATION=true

I am sure you could re-write it in a way that it is a “for loop”. thats my next step.

1 Like

Hey - I managed it finaly to add an extra server with videobridge2 to my “Quick Install”. Does it do a load balance even in one big room with more than 20 users or is the second jvb only for more rooms?

I don’t find any informations about this :-/

Regards and stay healthy!

1 Like

can you share how you did that, I have docker environment,

Thank u for the tutorial, i want to deploy an extra JVB in the same server, and I have try to add jvb2 in docker-compose.yml and modify the JVB_AUTH_USER with JVB2, but im got an error that the JVB_PORT is already in use, do you know how to solve this problem ?

thank u

use another port like 10001

1 Like

@creativeguitar Have to tried replicas thing for scaling jvb?

I tried it with docker-swarm. I replicated jvb to 2(containers), running on different machines then I tried killing one of the jvb container during a meeting and everything went fine. But I’m not sure if it also doing the load balancing thing.

1. Is creating a two jvb’s also ensures that the load(users) of a single conference is equally distributed to both the jvb’s?

2. If yes then Is there any logs that i can check to determine whether replicating jvb to 2 also does load balancing thing.

hello, i have done create extra videobridge in same machine, the jvb2 already connected and encrypted (i saw at logs of prosody). here logs of prosody

Blockquote
c2s5594e94bf450 info Client connected
c2s5594e94bf450 info Stream encrypted (TLSv1.2 with ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384)
c2s5594e94d02c0 info Client connected
c2s5594e94d02c0 info Stream encrypted (TLSv1.2 with ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384)
c2s5594e94d02c0 info Authenticated as jvb@auth.my.domain

and here logs in jvb2

Blockquote
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
May 11, 2020 5:32:56 AM org.jitsi.utils.logging2.LoggerImpl log
INFO: Loaded NewConfig with origin: merge of system properties,system properties,reference.conf @ jar:file:/usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/jitsi-videobridge.jar!/reference.conf: 1,reference.conf @ jar:file:/usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/lib/jitsi-media-transform-1.0-155-gb6af7e9.jar!/reference.conf: 1
INFO: Attempting to load legacy config file at path /, config, sip-communicator.properties
INFO: Attempting to load legacy config file at path /, config, sip-communicator.properties
INFO: Reloading.
INFO: Loaded NewConfig with origin: merge of system properties,system properties,reference.conf @ jar:file:/usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/jitsi-videobridge.jar!/reference.conf: 1,reference.conf @ jar:file:/usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/lib/jitsi-media-transform-1.0-155-gb6af7e9.jar!/reference.conf: 1
INFO: Registered the LegacyConfigurationServiceShim in OSGi.
May 11, 2020 5:32:56 AM org.jitsi.utils.logging.LoggerImpl log
INFO: VersionService registered: JVB 2.1.197-g38256192
INFO: Not starting the Jetty service for org.jitsi.videobridge.rest.RESTBundleActivator(port=8080)
INFO: Not starting the Jetty service for org.jitsi.videobridge.websocket.WebSocketBundleActivator(port=-1)
May 11, 2020 5:32:57 AM org.jitsi.utils.logging2.LoggerImpl log
WARNING: Running with open files limit 1048576 (hard 1048576), thread limit null (hard null). These values are too low and they will limit the number of participants that the bridge can serve simultaneously.
INFO: Starting with 60 second interval.
WARNING: No authorized source regexp configured. Will accept requests from any source.
INFO: Reloading.
INFO: Started with interval=10000, timeout=PT30S, maxDuration=PT3S, stickyFailures=false.
INFO: Octo relay is disabled
WARNING: Disabling certificate verification!
WARNING: [MucClient id=shard hostname=my.domain] error connecting
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: host-unknown You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
stream:errorThis server does not serve auth.my.domain</stream:error>
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1059)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
May 11, 2020 5:32:57 AM org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener
WARNING: Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: host-unknown You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1064)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
WARNING: Closed on error:
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1064)
May 11, 2020 5:32:58 AM org.ice4j.ice.harvest.StunMappingCandidateHarvester discover
INFO: Discovered public address 202.46.129.77:34449/udp from STUN server 74.125.200.127:19302/udp using local address 172.23.0.4:0/udp
May 11, 2020 5:32:58 AM org.ice4j.ice.harvest.StunMappingCandidateHarvester discover
INFO: Discovered public address 103.94.190.19:57289/udp from STUN server 173.194.202.127:19302/udp using local address 172.23.0.4:0/udp
INFO: Discovered public address 202.46.129.190:46444/udp from STUN server 173.194.199.127:19302/udp using local address 172.23.0.4:0/udp
May 11, 2020 5:32:58 AM org.ice4j.ice.harvest.MappingCandidateHarvesters initialize
INFO: Using org.ice4j.ice.harvest.StunMappingCandidateHarvester, face=/172.23.0.4, mask=/202.46.129.77
May 11, 2020 5:32:58 AM org.ice4j.ice.harvest.MappingCandidateHarvesters initialize
INFO: Using org.ice4j.ice.harvest.StunMappingCandidateHarvester, face=/172.23.0.4, mask=/103.94.190.19
INFO: Using org.ice4j.ice.harvest.StunMappingCandidateHarvester, face=/172.23.0.4, mask=/202.46.129.190
INFO: Initialized mapping harvesters (delay=1058ms). stunDiscoveryFailed=false
May 11, 2020 5:33:02 AM org.jitsi.utils.logging2.LoggerImpl log
WARNING: [MucClient id=shard hostname=my.domain] error connecting
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1059)
May 11, 2020 5:33:02 AM org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener
WARNING: Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error

do you know how the 2nd jvb (with c2s5594e94bf450) cannot authenticated ? i already register jvb2@mydomain in the prosodyctl –

thank you :blush: