Hosts and Hostnames for server install

I’m struggling to understand an important piece of the Quick install: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/quick-install.md

I can’t write full links in the post because new, so assume mydomain-com = mydomain.com!

I already have a website set up at mydomain-com / www.mydomain-com

I added a vhost, /var/www/ directory, and letsencrypt cert for meet.mydomain-com - this works and is where I want to install Jitsi.

What am I supposed to do with /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname?

Do I have to change my hostname for the entire machine? This doesn’t seem right for something installed on a single subdomain?

What exactly do I need to add to /etc/hosts? The guide says:
127.0.0.1 localhost meet.mydomain-com
But another guide I’ve seen says:
127.0.0.1 meet.mydomain-com meet

Any advice gratefully received.

Before I start installing things, I make sure that

hostname

returns the host name without domain (e.g. myhostname), and

dnsdomainname

returns the FQDN, i.e. mydomain-com in your case.

The easiest way to accomplish this is by taking the IP of your main interface, e.g. 192.168.x.y, then add the following line at the head of /etc/hosts:

192.168.x.y myhostname.mydomain-com myhostname
127.0.0.1 localhost

(…)

Thanks for your response.

So in my example, /etc/hostname should be ‘meet’ ?

Using the computer’s IP address instead of ‘localhost’ in /etc/hosts makes a lot more sense, and I’ll try it.

Also, the command ‘dnsdomainname’ doesn’t exist for me on Ubuntu 18.

/etc/hostname
yes, the hostname without domain

apt install hostname
…should install /bin/dnsdomainname, too

hostnamectl
should show the static hostname meet without domain

Please note that normally you should not install letsencrypt beforehand. The script provided with jitsi-meet /usr/share/jitsi-meet/scripts/install-letsencrypt-cert.sh installs everything needed automatically, it just asks for your e-mail address and then makes the setup.

You will perhaps have to provide a post-update script in the letsencrypt renewal hooks in case you automate the renewal due every 3 months - at least to provide correct file ownership for prosody and reload the certs within prosody. I did not yet check this yet - my installation is too new :wink:

No success. I just get a Not Found error at meet.mydomain.com

I did pre-generate the LetsEncrypt files (because I don’t want Jitsi installing a separate Certbot), but you can add these during the install process, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

i did not configure hostnames on my server, just left the defaults for ubuntu.
so my hostnames do not match the host i entered during quick install and do not match the host used in my webserver config.
but it works anyway.

Thanks basco - that’s good to know. Can you confirm what you entered in /etc/hosts ?

Everything seems to be installed correctly - I’m just not seeing jitsi anywhere!

i don´t think it´s relevant but heres my hosts anonimized
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 other.domain.com
192.168.0.254 other.domain

are the services running?
prosody
jicofo
videobridge

OK, that is different to the advice I was given above by @marcel, regarding the IP address I should use in /etc/hosts.

There appears to be an error in the prosody service:
portmanager: Error binding encrypted port for https: No key present in SSL/TLS configuration

I am going to reinstall using Jitsi’s LetsEncrypt script rather than my own.

use quick/install
then check if services are running and if all works
then use letsencrypt script

Hi there
I’m using Linux ( Kali ) on hp laptop ( I’m a beginner )
I’ve done a mistake during ( jitsi-meet ) installing
I skipped when asked me to write the :
hostname
I did a remove and re-install but still can’t get that step to correct ?
how can I configure that and make it work ?
some of the terminal :

The given hostname does not exist in the config
The given hostname does not exist in the config
dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet-prosody (–configure):
installed jitsi-meet-prosody package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jitsi-meet:
jitsi-meet depends on jitsi-meet-prosody (= 1.0.3969-1); however:
Package jitsi-meet-prosody is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.30-2) …
Processing triggers for systemd (244.3-1) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) …
Processing triggers for kali-menu (2020.1.8) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
jitsi-meet-prosody
jitsi-meet
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

OK - I did a quick install without setting up any hostnames, hosts, or a dedicated vhost for the subdomain, and it installed fine! I get a security error accessing https:// mydomain but that’s a separate certificate issue.

Thank you so much. The docs are very confusing and need a rewrite…

1 Like

Guys i have install jitsi meet and it is intalled successfully but when i go for conference call and the other party join , we cann’t see and hear each other only i see that the other party join that sit please help.

Hey there,

although I hate to bump this really old post, it perfectly fits my question as a newbie to self-hosting and linux/networking in general. The posts above can’t answer my questions though.

So I recently bought a VPS which already comes with an hostname like hostname.domain1.tld. I can’t change any of this since on every reboot the VPS provider automatically generates the generic hostname.

I further have a subdomain.domain2.tld which I can point per DNS A record to the IP of my VPS.

Now, is it possible to install a jitsi server with this configuration (i.e. with not being able to edit the VPS /etc/hosts permanently) and what for an hostname should I enter once jitsi asks for it during installation (see linked guide above)?

Hostname: You will also be asked to enter the hostname of the Jitsi Meet instance. If you have a domain, use the specific domain name, for example: meet.example.org. Alternatively you can enter the IP address of the machine (if it is static or doesn’t change).

It seems the subdomain.domain2.tld is okay. So no problem if it differs from hostname.domain1.tld?

Thanks

No need to edit /etc/hosts or to change the current hostname.

Use your Jitsi FQDN (seems like subdomain.domain2.tld in your case) during the installation.

1 Like

Thanks.

Could you help me understand what the guide tries to achieve with the mapping in the /etc/hosts file?
As far as I understand it the file maps IPs to DNS entries. But why is that important/mentioned in the installation guide?

No idea.

It maybe not needed anymore … a leftover from the old bridge I guess … we need to examine the history when was that added :slight_smile:
There used to be an issue with the old bridge where a missing entry produces no media, but this was happening in very rare cases …

2 Likes

Perfect, good to hear. Thank you all for the fast response - will try and set-up my server now.