Hosting Jitsi on the same server as a website?

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to host my own private Jitsi instance but have been running into issues. It seems like Jitsi and Apache2 don’t play nice together and/or there are conflicts with using the same domain name even if I create DNS records for a subdomain, so here is my thought. Can I create a fresh VPS, install Jitsi with a domain name of examplechat.com exclusively for use with Jitsi pointing at the IP address of the server, and then use my other example.com domain to host a website using another virtual host in Nginx on the same server? Essentially I’d like to host a Jitsi server and a website on the same server without conflicts. Is this possible given the scenario I outlined above with two distinct domains or do I need to configure a server exclusively for use with Jitsi?

Most public Jitsi-meet instance are on a subdomain, such as if the domain is example.com, Jitsi-meet is meet.example.com. There is no actual impossibility for the 2 to be on a single server. My test server is installed on a container in a server I have for other uses, and it’s indeed on a subdomain.

The use of a container avoids conflicts around package installation (it’s my habit to install logical functions in their own container, and Jitsi-meet is particularly intrusive because it needs at least one and usually 2 PPAs, something dangerous for upgrades).

For conflicts around web access, you can use a proxy. I use haproxy and it redirects Jitsi-meet web access (and coturn) without problem. Port 10000/udp is routed to the container with a firewall rule.

This said, if you search the forum you will find that about 2-3 months someone claims to have a working install of Apache with Jitsi-meet as a sub-URI (not a subdomain). I don’t know if this works reliably but you can try to find the postings. As far as I remember, there never was a mention of a published how-to, so use a subdomain if you want minimize research time.

1 Like

If I’m understanding you correctly, I should install it in a Docker container and then use a reverse proxy to forward the Jitsi specific traffic to the container? Then could I simply install Apache2 normally on the server and host my website without the two conflicting? If I set up a proxy though, don’t I need a second server? I thought I could accomplish this with a single VPS.

I was not thinking to Docker actually. I think that Docker has its own proxy (I’m not familiar with it)

I use Linux containers. You can think of Linux containers as mini-computers, they are managed entirely like a Linux computer (they lack a kernel. obviously)

On my test server, Jitsi-meet is installed in an Ubuntu 20.04 container with basic Jitsi install. The physical host is Ubuntu 18.04 with Haproxy installed from apt package. I use a basic Nginx server on the host to manage Let’sEncrypt certificates and copy them to the container when they change. I have removed all https management from the Jitsi-meet container, termination is done on the host with Haproxy. Haproxy proxies everything but port 10000 like I said.

I think that Haproxy is capable of managing https proxy but I have never felt the need to change this system since I began with nginx as the proxy on the host (nginx can’t proxy https with open source version as far as I know).