Hosting a jitsimeet server in a local host

I hosted the jitsimeet server on my local host (127.0.0.1) as I had problem (couldnt find any card free cloud hosting service and my public ip is a shared ip)
it worked (https binding binding works on 127.0.0.1 and doesnt need certificate) and was able to be accessed from same network through my private ip.
But the problem is when different pc (in a same network) tried to access my private ip and created a new room,other pc’s could not join that room together. even for the same room name, new room was created with only single user(creator). and also repeatedly disconneted after few moments.
please help and thanx in advance.
I am totally new to jitsi and my goal is to build web api based conference app and so that I am just testing. plz help. :face_with_head_bandage:

I hosted the jitsi server on my local ip (rather than 127.0.0.1) and now it is accessible to others in my network and more than one can join. And I didnt even use any certificate (as for testing purpose,at first I thought it is necessary but it just give a warning and I know its unsecure)

Let’s first ask, what is the available Internet bandwidth you have at your machine where you want to host it?

1 Like

please suggest me any free cloud hosting service that dont require any credit card info.
2-3 or 3-4 person in a meeting is enough for me now… I think at least I need more than 10mbps internet line (when I will deploy in on remote server)?
and plz give me a guideline (as I am really new) if I wanna customize the present server do I need to customize the corresponding folder in my machine(as my present server is up on local ip) and then restart? can you suggest any doc for that ?

For 4 person call you need 20 Mb/s upload on your server for good quality with chrome with Firefox for now you will need 60.
I doubt you will find a free hosting service.
If you want to customize the web part read the jitsi-meet readme how to build it.
You can install with just your public address and you will not been able to use let’s encrypt.
You need to configure private and public addresses in jvb.
If your public address changes in the case you used it to install jitsi-meet you will basically need to re-install and setting up jvb with the new ip address.

1 Like

really thanx for the reply. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
mine is a shared ip… so I was told that I cant use this for deploying jitsi(is it possible to host in shared public ip? everyone in my network has same public ip so I just has unique private ip where I hosted jitsi). :sleepy:
ok I will try to manage paid cloud hosting and in order to make changes and for understanding the coding parts of jitsi-meet/video-bridge and to be able to customize in lower level which doc should I follow? (in readme files I found just the higher level summary,is there any little details about the coding architecture and folder/file wise doc that why this is used or whats the functionality or to change what should I do?) :worried::confounded:
thanx a lot in advance :heart:

You can hosted with shared public ip, but you need access and control over your network configuration so you can forward ports to your machine.

There are no coding or development docs available, sorry. You can search the forum though as we had answered and gave code examples or code location for many questions.

1 Like

Thanx a lot for your reply :heart:
can u tell me how to forward public ip ports to my computer private ip ports in linux 18.04?
then will I need to host the server in my public ip port or private ip port?
bcz I tried through the video tutorial (ufw status enable and forwarding ports and hosted on my public ip but nothing happened) and failed. :worried:
Thanx in advance.

I cannot help you as I’m not familiar with your network setup and equipment. You need to por forward from the device you do the NAT(the device with the public address) to your internal address.

1 Like

thanx a lot for your reply.
I think I understand what need to do for deploying with public ip. But for now I m ok in my local deployment.
only one video bridge can be installed in one machine?

By following the development doc I ran jitsimeet server on my localhost:8080. how can I deploy it to private ip? and in localhost:8080,jitsimeet server is incredibly slow rather than jitsi-meet server on private ip through quick installation. whats the cause?
can anyone plz give me guideline how should I go through the source code to understand the core functionalities…! :face_with_head_bandage:
Thanx in advance. :heart:

This uses by default alpha.jitsi.net deployment. https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/webpack.config.js#L11

You need to build it by doing make and transfer the new files to your deployment.

1 Like

Thanx a lot for reply :heart:
sorry,I didnt get it correctly :anguished:
I ran a command “make” to build and then just ran “make dev” to run.
now I saw “By default the backend deployment used is beta.meet.jit.si . You can point the Jitsi-Meet app at a different backend by using a proxy server” line which I didn’t get perfectly.
so if I wanna run the server in my private ip I should just run “export …=<private.ip>” and “make dev” ?
can I also export it to my public ip? or just forwarding the required ports of public ip to private ip after deploying in private ip?
Thanx in advance :innocent:

That is correct and you don’t need any port forwarding you just need it to be working that way with the ip.

Why do you use beta as a backend? Are you using some older version of the sources and not master?

1 Like

Thanx a lot for the reply.

1. I followed the “quick install” and “secure domain” instruction and implemented by running the server in my private ip. and everything is working fine. but if I want to add the current features (like video recording and etherpad) which I am not experincing(implemented in meet.jit.si) right now what should I do?
  2. I also clone the jitsi-meet repository and ran jitsi-meet in local host (might be deployed in private ip too). Actually I had no idea that I could deploy it in my private ip (I haven’t checked yet…!)
    but same, how can I actually add features like recording/etherpad or others.

actually I am totally new to this and researching about jitsi meet and trying to understand and develop/customize. Actually which way should I follow for developing and deployment purpose? 1 or 2? or how? um little confused… please give me a suggession.
my future goal is to integrate it with a educational website (developing phase) where everything will be maintained by backend api. so I have to make sure that my required feature is working and up and then later, authentiacted users of the website will be able to create/join video conferencing through api.
Thanx a lot in advance and plz help me to find the right way :heart:

You need to deploy jibri and etherpad and configure your deployment to use it.

what about the 2nd process of download and run? do I have to do the same (findout where the change should made according to feature or findout the correct file to change/customize what actually like the changed file in 1st process)?
which is the right way? are u saying I should follow the 1st process to customize and deploy everything and then be ready for deploying in remote server and to integrate with website?

I just downloaded the jitsi meet master branch and the ran required commands. But in localhost:8080 it worked fine but when I tried to “…export=<private.ip>” and “make dev” it didnt work.not in local host nor in private ip.both is showing 404 error. actually what is happening here.I just want my source code to deploy on my private ip and why export isnt working.why how can I change backend deployment from beta to my private ip?
and again just asking which way should I follow… 1 or 2 or other…for developing purpose just give me a guideline.
Thanx a lot for the reply

This export is not a deployment procedure, it is just to run your local source code using your backend. How did you do that like:
WEBPACK_DEV_SERVER_PROXY_TARGET="https://ip-address" make dev?
Then if you want to deploy your changes you need to upload the needed files to your server, check /usr/share/jitsi-meet for the available files and update the files by taking those from your local folder.

Again, if you want etherpad and recording in your deployment, you need to deploy etherpad and jibri. There is no other short way for just developing …

Actually my downloaded “jitsi-meet-master” folder is in home directory.so I dive into that directory and ran required commands. but in -usr/share- there is not “jitsi-meet” directory as I uninstalled it after quick install :zipper_mouth_face:
so do u mean that it wasn’t right?
So, I had to follow the quick install (+secure domain),up the server in my private ip and then shouldn’t uninstall it? and simultaneously I should deploy my source code in localhost:8080 and after changing the code I should just check the change in localhost:8080 and if that fulfil my requirements I should just upload the changed files of -home/jitsi-meet-master- directory to -usr/share/jitsi-meet- directory? :thinking:
If so ,as far I remember,the downloaded “home/jitsi-meet-master” and “usr/share/jitsi-meet” aren’t really similar architecture? :face_with_thermometer:
I dont know whether I am just asking stupid things,I just want be in the right track :upside_down_face:
I was actually asking this in previous question,I thought two are different process. I didn’t think both is similar and I just have to locally customize the source code(+check in localhost:8080) and just upload it to the usr/share/jitsi-meet(and check in private ip). I am just real noob about this server related things,but I don’t want to be remain same in future :slightly_smiling_face:
really thanx a lot for helping and replying :heart: :innocent: