Hide Knocking Participant List

Hello,
Is there any way to hide the knocking participant list on the Jitsi Meet API Iframe?

We are looking to hide the knocking participant list from certain members of the Jitsi video chat and allow others to have access to the list to control who is entering the meeting.

It appears to be initialized in main.json, but I do not think I have access to overwrite something in main.json.

Thanks!

@saghul @damencho

@saghul @damencho

Please don’t tag people in your support-request posts unless they’re already helping you with the issue at hand.

If you’re hosting your own server, only the moderator sees requests to join when lobby is turned on. I presume that’s what you mean by “knocking participant list”. If you’re using an iframe over the free public instance of Jitsi at meet.jit.si, then you don’t have this level of granularity since every participant there defaults with moderator-level privileges.

Hi @Freddie,

I apologize, I had seen that be effective on someone else’s post and thought it was a good practice.

Thank you for letting me know, I understand. That is what I meant, and I do only want certain users to see requests to join the lobby. We aren’t hosting on our own server and using the iframe.

I understand about the granularity and everyone being a moderator. You do have the ability to initialize the iframe differently on various pages for various people though. For example, you can allow certain users to have livestream recording functionality and not allow other users in the same meeting to have that ability on the page they have access to. In effect you can create a level of granularity in which specific users are provided with different UI/UX.

Is there any way to remove the “knocking participant list” from the jitsi meet api iframe? The users I would like to hide the list from will still be moderators as you say, but the jitsi UI will hide the “knocking participant list” on the page they have access to, which in effect disables their ability to access the “knocking participant list”. I may be getting too specific and just need to be able to overwrite main.js or the css file where “knocking participant list” is located.

I really appreciate the help @Freddie and everything the Jitsi team does to enable us to create!

So, the difference between hiding the livestream/recording menu item and hiding the join request from lobby feature is that in the public meet.jit.si setup, the former is shown as merely a UI feature while the latter is actually a role-tied functionality. The lobby feature is tied to user-roles (as evidenced in prosody configuration). What you’re asking is for another class of users that otherwise have moderator privileges but do not have lobby access rights. I don’t believe this can be done out of the box. You may have to write a prosody module that will identify another class of participants. But all of this is moot since you’re not hosting your own server.

So in your case, the simple answer would be “no, not possible”. If you do choose to host your Jitsi instance though, perhaps you can start toying with the possibility.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I’m not seeking to remove their lobby access rights, just simply hide the UI that shows it. If the CSS or JS can be overwritten, it seems you could successfully hide it without effecting the role-tied functionality.

All I need is for this knocking participant list below to not be displayed. It can function as it’s supposed to but just be hidden.

Yeah, I understood what you meant and that’s what I’m referring to as the “lobby access” right - meaning, the right a moderator has to receive notifications when people ask to join the meeting. And AFAIK, this is not something you can just hide with an iFrame/CSS overlay without having access to the backend code itself.

1 Like

Alright, thank you. I was just curious if it could be overwritten like interface_config and config.

Thanks!

I guess that this could be considered as a custom GUI, so that means you have to setup your own server, because 8x8 don’t look kindly at people using jitsi-meet for anything else than embedding the UI (don’t want people to hide logos and the like). If your bandwidth and meeting size needs are very low, your could try to use another public instance of Jitsi-meet.