Getting make: *** [Makefile:23: compile] Error 1 while making on a remote server

I’ve been customizing UI and then, I just moved the whole customized code base to a remote server.
First, I did an installation by following the quick installation guide. Then, I did this:

cd jitsi-meet # local customized stuff
npm install 
make

and then, I got make: *** [Makefile:23: compile] Error 1 error. I don’t have any freaking idea why it happened, as it had no problems on my mac or my linux machine (local machine I mean).

There is no .node_modules folder at all. What happened?

Did npm install finish successfully?

This is what I got after npm install finishes:

patch-package 6.4.7
Applying patches...
eslint-plugin-flowtype@8.0.3 ✔
react-native@0.61.5-jitsi.2 ✔
Jetifier found 1219 file(s) to forward-jetify. Using 2 workers...

up to date, audited 1742 packages in 3m

141 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details

30 vulnerabilities (6 low, 21 moderate, 3 high)

To address issues that do not require attention, run:
  npm audit fix

To address all issues possible (including breaking changes), run:
  npm audit fix --force

Some issues need review, and may require choosing
a different dependency.

Run `npm audit` for details

npm install creates node_modules folder, it should be there.
Also make sure your remote machine has enough power and memory to execute the make, I have seen it failing on 1GB of RAM.

it does create node_modules, but fails on Make. I have no idea why.
Also, I have 4 GB of RAM.

I ran webpack to understand what is happening and I got these:

ERROR in asset size limit: The following asset(s) exceed the recommended size limit (1 MiB).
This can impact web performance.
Assets: 
  facial-expressions-worker.min.js (1.1 MiB)

ERROR in entrypoint size limit: The following entrypoint(s) combined asset size exceeds the recommended limit (1 MiB). This can impact web performance.
Entrypoints:
  facial-expressions-worker (1.1 MiB)
      facial-expressions-worker.min.js

ERROR in webpack performance recommendations: 
You can limit the size of your bundles by using import() or require.ensure to lazy load some parts of your application.
For more info visit https://webpack.js.org/guides/code-splitting/

webpack 5.57.1 compiled with 3 errors and 2 warnings in 95836 ms

I guess this is where I get blocked. What should I do?

why your library is exceeding the size set in webpack.config.js is the question. I compiled the thing yesterday and it was 600 K. If you compile it again on your dev computer, which is its size ?
Looking at the source (react/features/facial-recognition), it’s a set of tiny JS files written by a Jitsi dev, and a subdirectory (/resources) of files downloaded from Github weighing about 600 K. So I can’t quite figure out how it can grow to 1 Mb. Compare it on your dev computer and your prod.

BTW, is there a good reason for building your software on a prod server ? You can build deb packages, download them and install them. Or you can run your dev version on your dev workstation against your server.

I guess I have to make the project on my local linux machine, do tests then create a deb package. By the way, what is the command to make debs?

1 Like