General Question: Non-p2p configuration

Is it possible to setup jitsi with a non-p2p configuration?

Yes. You can disable P2P in your config.

Is this the ENABLE_P2P=0 setting for docker? Would this cause the room to crash when more than one person joins?

what port is needed for screen sharing to work with the partipants in a conference? is it 10000/udp?

I’m not familiar with the docker environment, but I suspect that should be it.

No, if you have a properly configured bridge, the room won’t crash.

Yes. All media is relayed through the port, unless you opt for a TURN server instead.

is TCP supported?

It’s not recommended to try to configure JVB for TCP. If you need TCP the preferred option is to use the coturn server - installed by default with Debian install, I have no idea about Docker.

First time I have seen a suggestion that screensharing problems could be related to JVB network configuration… Usually these problems are browser related. Given than screensharing work for most people and that most people use UDP for JVB, I don’t think it’s a productive idea to search a solution for screensharing problems in JVB network configuration.
In the page you linked to, 2 and 4 are the preferred configurations IMO. Direct TCP to JVB is advised against in tcp.md in the doc subdir of videobridge source.

Good Morning,

I dug a little more in the jitsi documentation, and realized that in order for the jvb to be fully functional (i.e. screensharing work between more than two users), I have to have 10000 udp and 4443 tcp (8443 in my case). Which is why I deleted that post. Self-Hosting Guide - Debian/Ubuntu server · Jitsi Meet Handbook

I think my setup’s problem is that we don’t have forwarding open to 10000 udp.

The installation manual is outdated and references to 4443 are irrelevant now.

Can someone update that, please :slight_smile:

Is there an up-to-date installation manual available?

I am currently building a diagram for a jitsi setup in a secured network. What exact ports are needed for video/screensharing, user-to-user communication, the chatrooms, etc?

Why exactly should port 10000 udp needed?

How is the websocket traffic routed?

port 443 for nginx that proxies to internal services
port 10000/udp for jvb
for a simple configuration this is the strict necessary

Coturn
This is more complex and allows for everything to go through 443 port at a performance cost Coturn is mostly needed for clients using firewalls blocking UDP. As it’s bad for performance, most people allow 10000/udp and coturn is used by clients that can only use port 443.
There are some firewalls that don’t allow UDP and still allow output on port 3478/5349 TCP and in this case it’s possible to allow their use for coturn.
If you begin with Jitsi don’t bother with it, put your efforts on using UDP port 10000.

Just to clarify, port 4443 is no longer needed?

What exactly is port 5347 tcp, 5280 tcp, and 5222 tcp used for?

is the jvb handling the chatroom as well as screensharing, and they are all using port 10000 udp? (asking because I have to show screensharing and the chatroom in my diagram)
Would the chatroom and screensharing sit on the outside of the jvb bridge?

Port 5347 is not used anymore, only 5222 for xmpp is used.
4443 is also not used.
5280 is where prosody listens for bosh and websocket requests, normally this is only on localhost and is proxied from nginx on the same machine

Is 5222 tcp used between the prosody and jvb?

Where would the screen sharing and chat comm sit within the diagram and would port 10000 udp be used for the two?

chat is signalling and goes over https and then to prosody over 5280.

All media is going through udp 10000.

Is 5222 tcp used between the prosody and jvb?