Fresh installation on Ubuntu 18.04 fails video and audio on connections

I installed jitsi-meet from the repos. Everything installs just fine, and I saw no errors.
The service starts fine, and I can open the web portal for jitsi on my machine. Everything
fine so far. I start a conference on this original machine. I go to another computer, and
open the URL of the original machine, and the conference name. It connects fine, shows
no errors. However, neither machine can see the video or hear the audio of the other machine.
I have checked that all of the appropriate ports are open on the original machine, and the
setting are not to automatically mute or blank the screen.

The only thing I can see in the jvb.log is a failure for TCP port 443:

JVB 2018-12-05 09:16:11.107 WARNING: [30] org.jitsi.videobridge.IceUdpTransportManager.log() Failed to initialize TCP harvester on port 443: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied. Retrying on port 4443.

but then

JVB 2018-12-05 09:16:11.109 INFO: [30] org.jitsi.videobridge.IceUdpTransportManager.log() Initialized TCP harvester on port 4443, using SSLTCP:true
ls

There is the repeated error in jicofo.log:

Jicofo 2018-12-05 09:24:17.277 WARNING: [325] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener() Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: com.ibm.jsse2.util.h: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at com.ibm.jsse2.k.a(k.java:15)
at com.ibm.jsse2.av.a(av.java:531)
at com.ibm.jsse2.D.a(D.java:68)
at com.ibm.jsse2.D.a(D.java:628)
at com.ibm.jsse2.E.a(E.java:803)
at com.ibm.jsse2.E.a(E.java:447)
at com.ibm.jsse2.D.r(D.java:139)
at com.ibm.jsse2.D.a(D.java:485)
at com.ibm.jsse2.av.a(av.java:717)
at com.ibm.jsse2.av.i(av.java:869)
at com.ibm.jsse2.av.a(av.java:19)
at com.ibm.jsse2.av.startHandshake(av.java:672)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:810)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1200(XMPPTCPConnection.java:151)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1067)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:994)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1010)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:812)
Caused by: com.ibm.jsse2.util.h: PKIX path building failed: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at com.ibm.jsse2.util.f.a(f.java:60)
at com.ibm.jsse2.util.f.b(f.java:126)
at com.ibm.jsse2.util.e.a(e.java:7)
at com.ibm.jsse2.aD.a(aD.java:122)
at com.ibm.jsse2.aD.a(aD.java:124)
at com.ibm.jsse2.aD.checkServerTrusted(aD.java:162)
at com.ibm.jsse2.E.a(E.java:831)
… 13 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at com.ibm.security.cert.PKIXCertPathBuilderImpl.buildCertPath(PKIXCertPathBuilderImpl.java:654)
at com.ibm.security.cert.PKIXCertPathBuilderImpl.engineBuild(PKIXCertPathBuilderImpl.java:368)
at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:268)
at com.ibm.jsse2.util.f.a(f.java:82)
… 19 more

Any help is appreciated.

Can you try if adding org.jitsi.jicofo.ALWAYS_TRUST_MODE_ENABLED=true to /etc/jitsi/jicofo/sip-communicator.properties and restarting jicofo?

Fantastic! That did the trick (mostly). On the client side, everything started fine, and the server side of the conversation could see everything from the client side, including video and microphone. However, the server side had problems accessing both microphone and video (using Falkon browser), although previously it had no such problems. I tried chromium-browser, on the server side, and could now access the video. However, it could not access audio. This might be some other problem that is unrelated, or might be solved by rebooting. Unfortunately, I cannot do that from here at the moment to check. Now on to solve other issues, like Android connectivity and password control. Many thanks!

I haven’t tried Falkon browser, but I see it uses QtWebEngine, which uses Chromium, so it should work. If you get problems about accessing audio / video devices, try to close all other apps / reboot, just to make sure it’s a system problem.