Frequent "Connection: Lost" while screensharing

We installed the latest stable release about two weeks ago. Since then, we’ve seen increasing number of screen-sharing sessions result in a lost connection. Usually, turning off screen-sharing results in a recovered connection. For some people, this happens most of the time. For others, it happens rarely.

The audio is unaffected. The screen-sharing video stream sometimes starts for a few seconds, but sometimes will not start at all. A few days ago, one of my coworkers and I could reliably share screens with each other, but the next day we could not.

In some cases, Person A will share their screen in a room with Person B and Person C. Person B may be able to see the video stream while Person C sees Person A as having a Lost connection. In other cases, neither Person C nor Person B can see the screen share video stream.

We are hosting two videobridge servers and one prosody/jicofo/etc server on AWS. The problem seems to be more frequent when there’s a mix of UDP and TCP in one video conference.

What evidence should we be looking at? What settings should we experiment with? What kinds of situations might trigger this behavior?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes

@gpolitis do you have an idea what maybe causing this?

0 Likes

I believe that was fixed in the latest meet.jit.si release, but I’m pretty sure we haven’t pushed a stable debian release. @cwfreeman you could try installing the latest “unstable” JVB, that should improve things.

0 Likes

Actually that was released recently. @cwfreeman can you check are you using latest stable?

0 Likes

We are using:
stable/jitsi-meet_3508
jitsi-videobridge:amd64/stable 1104-1.
jicofo 1.0-451-1
jigasi 1.0-210

It sounds like we might need to upgrade:
jitsi-meet to stable/jitsi-meet_3548-1
jitsi-videobridge_1109-1
jicofo_1.0-458-1
jigasi 1.0-217

I’ll report back in a few days if the upgrade solved the problem.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes

We’re still experience this issue with the latest meet.jit.si as of today, so for now we’ve stayed on our own jvb on a really old version with latest client (which works fine for screen sharing somehow! so something broke between our version and a release in Jan or something).

More details for my problem can be found at the github project jitsi-videobridge/issues/754

We are able to only reproduce this with people from different countries i.e. same user running multiple browsers screen share at once won’t reproduce the error (it used to reproduce the error before the latest attempt for a fix of this 1 or 2 months ago).
Old jvb 1095 works completely fine.

0 Likes