First troubleshooting steps

Hello!

I’m new to this forum and to Jitsi Meet server. I have to troubleshoot some problems for an organisation that runs their own Jitsi Meet instance in a VPS I have been given SSH access.

The problem they face is that often, in the middle of a conference, video freezes. I think it does not happen always and it does not happen to everyone in the organization, so I’m still not sure if it is a server or a client issue.

My first question are:
Where are the logs in the server?
Do I have to enable them somehow?
Any other troubleshooting steps you would recommend?

Some facts:
OS → Debian Buster
Memory → 4G
CPU → 2 (1 socket)

dpkg -l | grep jitsi
ii  jitsi-meet                      2.0.7287-1                   all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody              1.0.6155-1                   all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-turnserver           1.0.6155-1                   all          Configures coturn to be used with Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-web                  1.0.6155-1                   all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-web-config           1.0.6155-1                   all          Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-videobridge2              2.1-681-g3544ed05-1          all          WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)

Thank you very much!

Hello @peer,

• /var/log/prosody/
  • /var/log/jitsi/

You may test a conference with same participants on https://meet.jit.si. If the same issues occur, probably there is something wrong on the client side (bad network, low CPU power, etc)

1 Like

Monitor the CPU of the server, I think 2 cores 4GB RAM for running everything is not enough. You need at least 4 cores 8GB of RAM. And the high CPU usage will be exactly seen as video freezes.

1 Like