Firefox stuck at 180p, Safari 13.1.2 not receiving media - Recent Unstable

Had to move to a recent unstable from the latest stable to resolve some Firefox problems (fix: Signal REMB when TCC is not supported. by bgrozev · Pull Request #805 · jitsi/jicofo · GitHub). Now facing a number of issues:

1. Firefox is stuck at 180p resolution
  2. Safari 13.1.2 still not receiving media from other clients in a meeting
  3. Video keeps switching position in tile view (local video stays put, others randomly switching)

Installed versions are:

ii  jicofo                1.0-807-1           all          JItsi Meet COnference FOcus
ii  jitsi-meet            2.0.6396-1          all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody    1.0.5387-1          all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-turnserver 1.0.5387-1          all          Configures coturn to be used with Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-web        1.0.5387-1          all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.5387-1          all          Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-videobridge2    2.1-567-gc885bf83-1 all          WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)
ii  prosody               0.11.4-1            amd64        Lightweight Jabber/XMPP server

Captured Browser Logs:

Brave-log.txt (54.5 KB)
Chromium-log.txt (1.5 KB)
Firefox-log.txt (31.8 KB)
safari-log.txt (22.2 KB)

Tested on meet.jit.si: Firefox resolution is fine, didn’t notice tile switching either, but Safari issue persists. What to do?

If RTX is enabled with Firefox, which is the default, currently this results in the simulcast streams to show up in the SDP in random order. Which then results in problems for the JVB to identify the correct stream. We are working with the Firefox folks on improving this hopefully soon, see 1732778 - Simulcast SSRCs aren't in encoding order when RTX is on

3 Likes

@drno Just thinking through this - why is this a problem on the current unstable, not on the latest stable or even on meet.jit.si? I’m thinking if it’s solely a Firefox problem, then we should experience the same thing on all versions, no?

I just upgraded to the latest unstable and both issues (1) and (2) are still present. Issue (3) appears to have been resolved (fingers crossed), but there’s another issue where remote videos disappear for a second (literally) and come back.

Right now, I’m struggling to settle on a version that supports unified plan devoid of issues. 6173 has the random “video turned off to save bandwidth” issue (not just on Firefox, I now realize), 6293 has REMB issues and the latest unstable versions have these issues I’ve highlighted in this thread. If it weren’t too cumbersome, I’d want to enable unified plan on 5963 and revert to that. It seems like it was the most stable for me.

@Freddie we are working on it. I will ping you when there is something you can test.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @damencho!

@Freddie you can try 2.0.6415, most probably this will be the RC for the next stable release.

2 Likes

Excellent! Will test in a few and report back. Thanks for the incredibly fast turnaround. :pray:t5:

@damencho Ran a number of tests. I can confirm that Firefox is now sending HD as expected and the tile-switching issue appears to be fixed. Thanks so much!

Safari 13.1.2 still has problems receiving media though. As described in another post, all other clients receive media from Safari (13.1.2) but Safari does not receive media from any of them. On Safari, all client tiles are present, but shown as having audio and video off. This is replicable on meet.jit.si.

It also seems like the issue of remote videos disappearing for a split second has been resolved (although, I think I noticed videos flashing once or twice - I will check this further to be sure).

Overall, this is definitely a remarkable improvement on the conditions before. Can’t thank you and the team enough. Appreciate you all!

Delighted to confirm there are indeed no more flashes either. Feeds are rock-solid and stable; no tile-switching, no screen flashes. Amazing! Thank you! :+1:t5:

2 Likes

Thank you @Freddie for double checking the fix! Much appreciated.

In case you are not following the bugzilla ticket: a patch landed in Firefox 94. I expect things to work a lot better from Firefox version 94 on, because that version will finally allow us to use simulcast and RTX together.
Firefox 94 is targeted to become the next Release version on November 2nd according to Firefox Release Calendar - MozillaWiki

1 Like

Awesome news! Thanks a lot, @drno!