Failed to access your microphone - Google chrome

I’m just trying to use meet.jit.si with google chrome on linux. With the same laptop and browser i can use hangouts and teams just fine.
When i first started jitsi it asked for permission to access the camera and the microphone. I allowed (double checked later in the settings)

Every time i try to unmute myself in jitsi i get an error stating:
Failed to access your microphone.
Details: Cannot use microphone for an unknown reason.

If i go to the settings of the jitsi site the Microphone dropdown lists ‘Permission not granted’

chrome version: Version 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)
problem is reproducable on chromium as well.

Anything i can do to pinpoint this problem?
I tried using it with firefox and that seems to work but the performance is quite horrible… (and you get the browser warning, which i guess are related…)

2 Likes

I have the same issue.
Chrome 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.720)

I have installed the Chrome 32 bit version and it works.

Same here on Fedora 31 with Chromium Version 80.0.3987.149.

Warning in console log:

LocalStatsCollector.js:22 The AudioContext was not allowed to start. It must be resumed (or created) after a user gesture on the page. https://goo.gl/7K7WLu

Microphone works fine in Firefox.

You need to click on the lock box near the HTTPS url in the browser tray. It will then show you what permissions are allowed or blocked. I had the same issue, but once I selected the microphone it was then granted permissions.

Update browser
Clean browser cookies, history and reset permission for meet.jit.si website
Allow permission when prompted for camera and microphone
This should work!

That is not working like i already mentioned in the opening post

2 Likes

Like i mentioned in the opening post, all relevant permissions are granted.

2 Likes

So i actually noticed this error was coming from webrtc. So after testing test.webrtc.org i actually found the same error… Tried the same with another user on my system and that worked perfectly. So i started fiddling around with the .config and startup settings and all of a sudden everything started working. I actually think it was fixed by resetting everything in pulseaudio.

1 Like

Same issue with Chrome (version 81.0.4044.113-1 Linux - Manjaro), but also on Vivaldi and Chromium (i.e. from the 'chrome family).
After some digging it seems the culprit for this on my system was Pulseaudio setting the “Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo” as default input.

Setting the default input to the microphone (in my case it’s called “Built-in Audio Analog Stereo” then restarting chrome seems to fix the problem.
(Unfortunately it seems as a ‘new user’ I can’t attach screenshots but I can provide them if needed.

Notice that unlike other similar applications (e.g. skype for web, GoToMeeting) Jitsi doesn’t seem to be able to allow the selection of the input source directly from the web app.

Interestingly Firefox shows a slightly different behaviour: it does not complain about missing microphone access, but it also disallows selecting the correct input source from the web app. Also selecting it from e.g. pavucontrol directly when Jitsi is launched doesn’t seem to work.

Anyway this seems a bug to me because the message of not having allowed the microphone input is wrong (and therefore misleading for the user) and additionally like other web applications the user should be able to select the input source directly form jitsi.

Hope this helps.
Lorenzo.

Regularly experiencing similar issues on:
-Debian Stretch
-Chrome and Brave stable
-FIrefox

It seems that if I don’t explicitly ‘hang up’ the previous call, but simply close the browser, or the tab to exit, on return ‘Settings’ reports “Not Allowed”. Surprising and frustrating if the previous call has not been problematic. Even burrowing into Chrome settings and explictly Allowing mic, camera and audio has no effect.

A quick fix I’ve found when trying to get connected is to simply add a fresh profile to Chrome or Brave, then step through the initial permissions cycle. The new profile will be good for awhile, but at some point “microphone not found” or “not allowed” will appear again.

Do Jitsers report these kind of problems with MS & iOS, or is it more common in the tar pit of Linux audio??

Can you suggest a step-by-step way to re-initiate access to video/audio resources short of the tedium of a reboot??

I;m starting to run in that issue, the last 2 days.