Facilitation tool / Dialogue management?

A major problem on even the most popular systems is the coordination of turn-taking and audio noise due to people not turning off their microphones when finished speaking. The following code is available to be integrated into Jitsi:

An “auto hand” could be used to help the moderator facilitate discussion. A user with a “raised hand” would be automatically selected when it was their turn with a fair rule. When in use the raised hand could show an “A” to confirm that the rules was being used to guide discussion and fair treatment was ensured.

1 Like

Details:

Facilitation tool with automatic conflict resolution available.
Ensure a balance of participation in discussion, online or offline - or both.
See summary in following reply.

Then connect to the demonstration site for use with a computer web browser (myturn.mobi). Google Chrome is a safe web browser choice. After playing around with it for a while - could just be two people in the same room on laptops - try the smartphone version (beta.myturn.mobi).

The setup requires you to enter your name - this should be remembered by the browser for the next time you use it. Then decide how long people will be allowed to make their point - no interruptions will be permitted during this time. If someone continues into a second period, the same amount of time is allowed. This turn-time is typically set for a few minutes, but a demo allowing only a few seconds can be used to illustrate the operation. Then enter the total time for discussion. Set this for longer than you expect to need, unless you actually want a hard deadline. Finally, select the topic for discussion, so people can be sure they are connecting to the right dialogue management group.

Vibration of your phone allows you to know that it is your turn, without looking at the phone. When it is your turn, you will get a buzz twice a second. If you are connected to an active discussion, you get a “heartbeat” every two seconds. When pressing the on-screen button, you get an indication every second. You must hold the button as long as you want to talk. This is true while speaking or when waiting for a turn. Have fun!

Computer -

http://myturn.mobi

Phone -

http://beta.myturn.mobi

Text from PDF in next reply:

Better Meetings Meetings can be notoriously difficult and unproductive

MyTurn is a meeting facilitation application that you can use to:

: stop domination of discussion by a single person (Microphone control in premium) : stop intimidation by those not allowing people to finish their statements
: experience superior task performance and reach more favorable decisions
: ensure that people’s names are remembered

MyTurn for Mobile Phones works with most web browsers. It says “My turn" for you by projecting your name to other’s phones. Your name is displayed until you release the “My Turn” button or until your Turn Time runs out.

If there are conflicting requests to speak, the person who has spoken the least has their name displayed. No information is transmitted, if your name doesn’t appear. The transition from speaker to speaker is protected, since the responsibility for either cutting off an over-time speaker or rejecting a pending request is shared by the group.

Our motto: Promote, Protect, Perform

Promote participation:
Participation is balanced through application of an Equal-time Resolution Rule. (This is a key feature.)

Protect the speaker:
Inappropriate requests to speak are never revealed. (There are several other protective functions).

Perform:
Performance of groups using the Equal-time Resolution Rule is superior. (This is a published experimental result.)

The MyTurn Web application is available at: http://MyTurn.mobi/ The instructions and other documentation can be found at: http:// doc.MyTurn.Mobi

The beneficial results from using this program were proven in rigorously-controlled computer-administered experiments at the University of California and at Stanford University. The research was supported in both cases by US government agencies.

Institute for Social Informatics Email: dss@secureid.net

PDF:

Comprehensive information is available on this blog page:

Hi,

I agree with you that it would be awesome to have more functionalities for facilitators.
But in my opinion, this does not belong to a general-purpose video conference solution.
The good news is that it is easy to build your own solution, based on the jitsi lib, or by forking the jitsi-meet project. I wish there was another plugin based solution to add functionalities to jitsi-meet.

I am working myself on a conversational protocol called the FishBowl, where only a limited number of persons are allowed to speak.
If somebody else wants to add something, a current participant has to leave the bowl.
A demo is available on https://jitsi.retrolution.co/fishbowl?tableViewEnabled=true

The solution I suggest has more than functions for facilitators. It also offers a way to improve performance and reduce bandwidth requirements. It allows transmission of only the single person speaking, thus significantly reducing bandwidth requirements in a larger group, Also, the next person to speak can be predicted to some degree, allowing staging if that can improve performance. These approaches could provide substantial improvements in low resource situations.

dss, I’m new to jitsi, here specifically to evaluate using it for a special-purpose function – somewhat similar to what you’ve discussed. I appreciate the info you’ve shared, and your lines of questions.

Specifically, I’m looking for a way to create a custom version that would facilitate structured meetings using Robert’s Rules of Order or similar parliamentary authority. I’m developing a requirements list, which is much longer than I’d like!

Anyway… not asking for any specific help – but look forward to exchanging ideas and following your progress.