Everyone appears muted to each other

Hi,

I setup my own jitsi meet server and we have the problem that everyone appears muted to each other and can’t hear each other. Pressing the button does not change anything except the icon itself for the user, but all other users still see that user as muted and thus can’t hear him. In addition, video streams are also not appearing for other users (everyone sees the camera icon as muted for each other).

Basically, mute/unmnute operations do not propagate to others, it only shows locally.

Any ideas what could be happening?

I have the exact same problem but it happens randomly.

When I check Jicofo logs I find this line :
Jicofo 2020-04-24 09:57:09.765 INFOS: [89] org.jitsi.jicofo.xmpp.FocusComponent.handleConferenceIq().401 Focus request for room: myconference@conference.my.domain

On the client side, I see this line in the JS console :
Logger.js:154 2020-04-24T08:23:04.915Z [JitsiConference.js] <e.sendMessage>: Failed to send a ping request or response.

do you have the same errors ?

Hey @hkhait,

On the client side, I am getting a similar error for both participants (when testing with 2 browsers on the same machine):

2020-04-24T08:30:39.900Z [JitsiConference.js] <h.sendMessage>: Failed to send E2E ping request or response.

The browser who joined later also has this just before the above:

2020-04-24T08:30:31.448Z [modules/xmpp/strophe.jingle.js] : invalid session id

My Jicofo Logs show these 3:

Jicofo 2020-04-24 08:36:51.233 SEVERE: [113] org.jitsi.impl.protocol.xmpp.XmppProtocolProvider.doConnect().315 Failed to connect/login: SASLError using SCR$
org.jivesoftware.smack.sasl.SASLErrorException: SASLError using SCRAM-SHA-1: not-authorized
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticationFailed(SASLAuthentication.java:292)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1100)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Jicofo 2020-04-24 08:36:53.978 SEVERE: [28] org.jitsi.jicofo.health.Health.log() No MUC service found on XMPP domain or Jicofo has not finished initial com$

Jicofo 2020-04-24 08:36:53.979 SEVERE: [28] org.jitsi.jicofo.health.Health.log() Health check failed in PT0S:
java.lang.RuntimeException: No MUC component
at org.jitsi.jicofo.health.Health.check(Health.java:114)
at org.jitsi.jicofo.health.Health.performCheck(Health.java:88)
at org.jitsi.health.AbstractHealthCheckService.run(AbstractHealthCheckService.kt:144)
at org.jitsi.utils.concurrent.RecurringRunnableExecutor.run(RecurringRunnableExecutor.java:216)
at org.jitsi.utils.concurrent.RecurringRunnableExecutor.runInThread(RecurringRunnableExecutor.java:292)
at org.jitsi.utils.concurrent.RecurringRunnableExecutor.access$000(RecurringRunnableExecutor.java:36)
at org.jitsi.utils.concurrent.RecurringRunnableExecutor$1.run(RecurringRunnableExecutor.java:328)

that’s another problem indeed.
You jicofo cannot log into prosody MUC. check out the authentication credentials

This is so weird, I didn’t change anything from the default config.

@hkhait Okay I fixed my errors above, and so far, the issue is not happening anymore.

For the record what I did to fix the Jicofo errors:

Check in /etc/jitsi/jicofo/config what the password is, then manually register it:

sudo prosodyctl register focus auth.jitsi.example.com focuspassword

Then restart everything.

I had this issue because I forgot to port forward 4443/tcp and 10000/udp. After making those ports available the problem was fixed. hope this helps