Empty user remains in the Room after they disconnect / crash / leave

Hello, This problem seems keeps occurring mostly when someone crashes or disconnects. But sometimes also when they leave the room.

What happens is, the person who disconnects remains in the room with for no reason or functionality at all, just taking up precious space in the conference room.

The worst part is when that bugged user becomes the moderator, then nobody can kick out the bugged users.

What is the best way to go around this?

I was thinking of making everyone a moderator. Is this easy?

Thank you.

For anyone wondering about this issue, found a simple solution for this problem here:

Actually, the problem started to happen again.

Hello,

I have the same problem, the above suggestion doesn’t solve the issue it generates other error in logs.
I have have last prosody version installed.
@damencho, could please have a look?, in one room I have myself replicated many times!
each time I disconnect and I connect the number of participants (my self or other) is increased

Thanks!

1 Like

Yassine, just as a temporary non viable solution, you can always write this command on SSH: /etc/init.d/prosody restart

It will restart and clean the useless users.

Now, please someone help us out.

Thank you.

Hello Community,
There is any expert can help us to solve it?
Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Yassine

Any news?

it’s solved for me, I had a configuration problem.

Hi Yassine, didn’t solve it for me, I just realised that I have prosody 0.10. I need to update I’m a bit afraid to do it.

I’m on Ubuntu 18.04, Would it be as easy as this?

1 - sudo apt-get purge prosody

2 - sudo apt-get install prosody

3 - change storage to “memory”

No need to reinstall Jitsi or reconfigure anything?

I need to do this as I still have prosody 10 with some bugs like ghost users.

Hi @SmoothPlay, you need to update prosody:

#upgrade prodosy
echo deb http://packages.prosody.im/debian $(lsb_release -sc) main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
wget https://prosody.im/files/prosody-debian-packages.key -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install prosody

after upgrade add ‘Include “conf.d/*.cfg.lua”’ in sudo nano /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua if it’s removed by the upgrade.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I will try and let you know the result.

oh crap… I did exactly as you were saying, except when it asked If I wanted to change or see changes of cfg.lua etc I said I wanted to see the changes.

Now when I try again it does this:

root@vm01:~# sudo apt-get install prosody
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

Managed to kill the update and then retry. Seems to have been updated correctly to 11.5. And the conferences are now working again. Phew… Now there is one problem, a lot of replicated myselfs. Which is now probably the problem you had actually.

Fixed after changing storage to “memory” ! YEY! HAPPY. Thank you Yassine you are the best. Will let people know if it really fixed the ghosts and all that. This post is actually really important for someone who uses jitsi.

1 Like

how and where did you find the version of prosody?

I tried searching for it again and couldn’t find it, sorry. If someone could help this buddy it would be cool.

I think accidently stumbled with the Prosody in the logs, i think i saw it on var/logs/prosody/log.

But now I went to check and it isn’t there. Maybe It is only visible via SSH.

1 Like

To know prosody version
just write prosodyctl about

1 Like

I was looking for a solution for this for a while! I also have empty users remaining who can´t be kicked after disconected.
I saw this usually happens on iphone and ipad users. Others are auto disconected after a few, but ios users with connection problems have clones of theirselves.

I´ll try and share the results here!

I am trying this lets see how it works , I may update in few days

I did try it and it worked.

1 Like