Echo on Android devices using jitsi mobile SDK

Hi,

With my team we work on a mobile application that is heavily built on the jitsi stack (jitsi-meet, jitsi-videobridge, jicofo). We develop apps both for iOS and Android platforms using jitsi’s SDKs.
(The jitsi-meet library our apps are built on is a few months old now: Release 4428 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub)

On some of our Android test devices a significat audio echo can be observed, sometimes it turns into a feedback loop. This never occures on iOS devices and it also works fine on some Android phones as well.

We tested the official jitsi-meet Android app on the affected devices and we also experienced the echo. We also observed, that the echo also occures when a wired headset is used. Which is really strange, I’d think the sound shouldn’t find its way back if a headset is plugged in. We also tested it with a bluetooth headset and that successfully elminated the echo.

Currently, we can reproduce this issue on these devices:

• Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Android 9.0)
  • Oneplus 5t (Android 9.0)

And no echo observed on these:

• Nexus 6P (Android 6)
  • Huawei P30 Lite (Android 9.0)
  • Huawei Mate 20 Pro (Android 10)
  • Galaxy A31 (Android 10)
  • Apple iPhone 8 (iOS 14.2)

Does anybody have any idea how could we improve the user experience and reduce the echo?
Thank you.

@bigyoo I am also facing this issue. But bad luck, not found any solution. Did you get fixed that? plaese help if you have any solution.

Hearing an echo with a headset is indeed strange.

However “silence detection” and “echo cancellation” are functions of both the OS and hardware capabilities. This would not necessarily be a Jitsi-specific issue. Older devices will definitely have a less than ideal experience.