DSCP/QOS Effects

Where are the packets marked? Is it within the server and the browsers on the various devices? Can the priority marking be changed after entering the internet?

I ask because yesterday I ran a test with Jitsi, on an 8 core server with a 1Gb/s pipe, back to back with a paid for Zoom session. The Jitsi session could only manage 10 users and degraded badly at 12 users. The last 6 people could not join.

The Zoom session worked flawlessly with 18 users - perfect HD video and audio. The users commented that the paid for Zoom was far better than any free Skype, Zoom, etc sessions they had seen before.

The users and their equipment were all unchanged. This led me to wonder if Zoom has sticky QOS settings because they are a telecoms company, while Jitsi packets are reduced in priority when in transit.

Any ideas?

I have olmost the same users comments.
Microsoft Teams and zoom quality is really better.
I know that Teams use VP9 codec , for zoom I don’t know.
For jisti internaly I tried trafic shapping QOS and there is no difference with QOS or without. And zoom and teams quality is always perfect also with a bad connection. I don’t know how they do that but I think there is something with the codec.
I don’t have server problem and the maximum users conenct we tried is 25 without problem to join.
My server (debian 10.3) is 8 cores 32GB of ram and NVME disk and 10Gbits network.
The quality with 3 or 25 is OK but not perfect like Zoom or teams :frowning:

And for me there is not Jitsi packet reduction on Internet, all of my users on internet receveive and send 3Mbits

I was told that Zoom uses h.264. It combines the return streams into a single one.
The Jitsi team are working on PV9 which is the h.265 alternative. The other codec is x.265.

@Windsurfer I hope VP9 and X.265 will be available soon to see the difference.

Do you know if with the Jitsi server it’s possible to stream all video into a single one?

About your problem how are you server ressources with 12 users?
How are the CPU usage on users computers?

The Jitsi server works differently from the Zoom server. The
Jitsi server returns many streamsand the Zoom server returns a
single composite stream.

This video shows the difference https://jitsi.org/blog/category/kranky-geek/

With 12 users, the server (8 x 2.4 GHz cores) were were between
30% and 50%, and the memory (8GB) was at about 50 to 60%. It was
acceptable with 10.

I did not turn off the audio indication to save cpu capacity on
the user devices.

All of the users were between 65 and 80 years of age. Training
them to use the space bar as a ‘press to speak’ switch was very
important.