Docker-jitsi Jibri cannot record (error connecting to xmpp.meet.jitsi)

After stalling jitsi deployment for some time, CoVid19 closure of our university has been the right incentive for setting up a production jitsi server for our research group. It’s running quite well, but I cannot seem to set up the recording system.

When I set it up it seems to be working fine, but cannot record, and jibri logs show that it did not start properly:

2020-03-14 07:08:33.355 SEVERE: [32] org.jitsi.xmpp.mucclient.MucClientManager.log() Failed to initialize and start a MucClient:
org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$ConnectionException: The following addresses failed: ‘xmpp.meet.jitsi:5222’ failed because: xmpp.meet.jitsi/172.26.0.3 exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$ConnectionException.from(SmackException.java:278)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPTCPConnection.java:619)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.connectInternal(XMPPTCPConnection.java:902)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.connect(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:383)
at org.jitsi.xmpp.mucclient.MucClient.initializeConnectAndJoin(MucClient.java:277)
at org.jitsi.xmpp.mucclient.MucClientManager.lambda$addMucClient$0(MucClientManager.java:152)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I’ve kind of solved it. If after starting everything I stop jibri:

docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f etherpad.yml -f jibri.yml -f jigasi.yml stop jibri

and then I start it again (without starting/stopping any other container):

docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f etherpad.yml -f jibri.yml -f jigasi.yml start jibri

it works ok. So my guess is that jibri starts too fast and cannot connect to xmpp when starting (it’s not ready yet). Will run some more tests and come back.

Thanks for the feedback and bug report! Indeed I think we have a problem when Jibri fails its initial connection.

Can you try to apply this patch and see if that works?

diff --git a/jibri.yml b/jibri.yml
index 2f5a3e7..324f613 100644
--- a/jibri.yml
+++ b/jibri.yml
@@ -28,6 +28,8 @@ services:
             - JIBRI_LOGS_DIR
             - DISPLAY=:0
             - TZ
+        depends_on:
+            - jicofo
         networks:
             meet.jitsi:

Yes, that improved it.

Improve as in fix? :slight_smile:

Improved for me on that server, but I had already fiddled a lot with stuff. Will setup a new server (Covid-19 is getting me really busy on enabling my research group to work, and less doing actual research), and will answer you in a few hours.

@carlesm Thank you!