Disable microphone and sound for moderation

Hi everybody,

I work on a hybrid setup with some participants, who meet in a room and some from remote. I want to use jitsi as our video conferencing platform. In the room there are two tablets: The first shows the camera views of remote particiants. It also records the room with its camera. And this tablet is also connected to 360° microphone and speaker in the room. The second tablet should help the moderator to see, which remote-people have raised their hands. This is it’s only purpose. Unfortunately I was not able to switch the speakers of the moderator’s tablet off. The speakers volume could only be reduced to a minimum, but not completely switched off. Therefore the moderator had an echo, which is really annoying.

Does anybody have an idea how to disable the mics as well as the speakers on the moderator’s tablet? Both tablets are SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with jitsi.org-App installed.

Best regards
Jan

Welcome to the forum, @JanChris! :smiley:

There’s probably something I’m missing in your ask, but can’t you just mute the microphone on the moderator’s tablet AND set its sound source “select sound device” to “Phone” instead of “Speaker”? If you do that, you can lower the volume even further down (but even without doing this, if it’s set to “Phone”, it would be near-impossible for the mic of the other tablet to pick it up).

Here’s how to do that, just in case…

then

Hi Freddie,

thanks for your very warm welcome and your quick reply. I just tried your proposal, but I realized that on my tablet only the speaker is available as audio device. And it seems that I can’t disable the only audio device.

The version of my app is 20.4.2 build 5465103. I fetched it from the Google Play Store last week. Do you use the same version?

Best regards
Jan

Aaaah yes, the tablet only shows “speaker”. Hmm…mm… perhaps you can plug the earpiece that came with your phone into the tablet, in addition to lowering the volume all the way down? That would ensure there’s no sound leak into the other tab.

Wait… can you go into the settings on your tablet, then go to sound and turn media volume all the way down till it’s muted? I think that should do it. :thinking:

Hi Freddie,

thanks a lot for your hints. I already disabled the speakers completely (shown by the crossed speaker icon on top of the screen), but the Jitsi-App still is able to submit noise through the speakers.

Anyway, I connected my earpieces and that made it for me as a workaround.

Thanks a lot again, Freddie :).

Best regards
Jan

I just wondering if jitsi could implement disabling audio, video and mic as a feature?

Well, each participant can disable their own mic and video and the moderator can additionally mute everyone (although they can unmute themselves). From a video-conferencing perspective, it’s hard to see the use case for disabling sound completely. Your case is very ad hoc. In fact, it’s surprising that interference alone didn’t sour your experience, with the way you set things up. Connecting multiple devices in such close range usually results in sound interference.