Disable changing the displayed name in JWT enabled jitsi

Hi,

I want to disable the feature that allows changing user names during a jitsi session. The JWT already specifies a name in a jitsi-session and that shouldn’t be changed.

I’d be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

korbi

In summary, as of the time of this post, the solution would be to:

1. Use latest stable version of Jitsi and set readOnlyName: true in config.js. This makes the display name field in settings and prejoin page read-only. N.B. you should only use this if your deployment allows only JWT auth since, for now, that option is not limited to JWT users and will affect everyone.
  2. Use prosody-plugins/frozen_nick at main · jitsi-contrib/prosody-plugins · GitHub to reject name changes on the prosody side. This stops names from being changed if someone works around the read-only field.

I suspect (hope) that a more comprehensive solution will come along some day (ref). Until then, the above solution works for us in our deployment.

or use this css hack #localDisplayName {pointer-events:none!important}

Or set disableProfile in /etc/jitsi/meet/YOUR-DOMAIN-config.js

disableProfile unfortunately does not stop users for changing display name on preJoin page (or at least it didn’t use to. Have not checked recently).

That would work, and is a good alternative if you’re on an older Jitsi Meet version that does not yet support the readOnlyName option.

However one chooses to limit display name changes on the UI side, it is worth noting that it does not stop other paths to name changes e.g. APP.conference.changeLocalDisplayName(...) from console or setDisplayName calls from lib-jitsi-meet. Not an issue in most social-based deployments, but could be critical where representation of verified identity is important.

In a deployment where this matters, the UI solution needs to be coupled with a server-side solution. Hence the prosody module mentioned above.

I stand corrected. disableProfile now works as expected too :+1:t4:

Just tested this (disableProfile and readOnlyName), and both are equally effective at stopping users from changing display name in:

1. prejoin page
  2. double clicking on name in thumbnail
  3. in Settings > Profile

Which option should one use? I suppose it depends on whether you still need to show or let user change email address (i.e. to set gravatar). If so, use readOnlyName otherwise, either will do.

Both options does not currently stop name changes via APP.conference.changeLocalDisplayName(...).