Dedicated server: How many participants & video streams work with reasonable performance?

How many participants & video streams are likely to work out of the box for a single dedicated server, setup using the official instructions here: https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/devops-guide/devops-guide-quickstart

I realize the answer may depend on the CPU/memory resources given to the box. For example this setup-on-AWS guide suggests a {2 CPU, 8 GB RAM} box to start out with.

If the answer is not clear-cut, is there a way to empirically test a Jitsi instance to see how many video streams it can handle at once? Perhaps a load testing tool I can point at a live Jitsi server?

Is there any other guideance that exists for sizing/testing a dedicated server to give reasonable performance?

1 Like

Hi @davidfstr,
I am not the expert for Jitsi. But I start to understand that the configuration depends on your need.

Only video chat with only 1 JVB: 2 vCPU, 8 GB RAM enough for max around 13 participant with video+audio . No Jibri recording capability.

More advance: 2 JVBs: 2*2 vCPU, 8 GB RAM; enough for max around 20-25 participant with video+audio . No Jibri recording capability.
Jibri can be installed but slight recording lag might experienced. A little tweak at /etc/jitsi/meet/yourdomain-config.js may increase the total participant to around 30 participants with active video+audio.

Another level 3 JVBs: 3*2 vCPU, 8-16 GB RAM; enough for max around 50 participant with some active and muted video+audio , but some user ever discussed with more larger participant (75-100s mix muted video+audio if I recall with one or 2 tweak in config.js ). JVB2 is used. Chrome user only. Check this

Another 4 vCPU for several Jibri(s) is recommended.

I guess we can interpolate from this figure.

I suggest to dig several minute to find this art in the community.

1 Like

Wow. @Janto thats a great deal of research.

So have you tested this to be working? or is it an extrapolation from the community over here?