Debian 10, ldap authentication fails after upgrade to jitsi-meet 2.0.5870-1

Hello,

I just upgraded yesterday my jitsi installation with apt-get upgrade and it brought the various jitsi components to the following versions:

ii  jicofo                                1.0-747-1                                  all          JItsi Meet COnference FOcus
ii  jitsi-meet                            2.0.5870-1                                 all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody                    1.0.4985-1                                 all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  jitsi-meet-web                        1.0.4985-1                                 all          WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii  jitsi-meet-web-config                 1.0.4985-1                                 all          Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
rc  jitsi-videobridge                     1126-1                                     amd64        WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)
ii  jitsi-videobridge2                    2.1-492-g5edaf7dd-1                        all          WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)

The issue is that during the installation of jitsi-meet-prosody, the following error message was displayed:

Preparing to unpack .../jitsi-meet-prosody_1.0.4985-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.4985-1) over (1.0.4985-1) ...
Setting up jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.4985-1) ...
Component "focus.AAAA.XXXXXX.com" "client_proxy"
modulemanager       error	Error initializing module 'auth_ldap2' on 'focus.AAAA.XXXXXX.com': /usr/lib/prosody/modules/ldap.lib.lua:245: attempt to call field 'unlock_globals' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	/usr/lib/prosody/modules/ldap.lib.lua:245: in main chunk
	(...tail calls...)
	/usr/lib/prosody/modules/mod_auth_ldap2/mod_auth_ldap2.lua:14: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	/usr/lib/prosody/core/modulemanager.lua:178: in function 'do_load_module'
	/usr/lib/prosody/core/modulemanager.lua:256: in function 'load'
	/usr/lib/prosody/core/usermanager.lua:67: in function 'initialize_host'
	.../share/jitsi-meet/prosody-plugins/mod_roster_command.lua:41: in function 'subscribe'
	.../share/jitsi-meet/prosody-plugins/mod_roster_command.lua:143: in function <.../share/jitsi-meet/prosody-plugins/mod_roster_command.lua:135>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	/usr/lib/prosody/core/modulemanager.lua:320: in function 'call_module_method'
	/usr/bin/prosodyctl:1316: in function 'func'
	/usr/lib/prosody/util/async.lua:127: in function </usr/lib/prosody/util/async.lua:125>

Following the information at Authentication ldap fails after Upgrade prosody 0.11 - #3 by ajj75012 I installed also a newer version of lualdap with luarocks install lualdap 1.2.6-1 and removed the Debian one with apt-get remove lua-ldap. I then reinstalled jitsi-meet-prosody with apt-get --reinstall install jitsi-meet-prosody but I got the exact same error message.

I would welcome any suggestion to re-enable ldap authentication in jitsi.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Paul

What is your prosody version?

It is version 0.11.2-1+deb10u2

$ dpkg -l | grep prosody
ii  jitsi-meet-prosody                    1.0.4985-1                                 all          Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii  prosody                               0.11.2-1+deb10u2                           amd64        Lightweight Jabber/XMPP server
ii  prosody-modules                       0.0~hg20190203.b54e98d5c4a1+dfsg-1+deb10u1 all          Selection of community modules for Prosody

I use prosody and prosody-modules from buster-backports and ldap_auth with ldap2 is working

ii  prosody                              0.11.9-1~bpo10+1                           amd64        Lightweight Jabber/XMPP server
ii  prosody-modules                      0.0~hg20210130.dd3bfe8f182e+dfsg-2~bpo10+1 all          Selection of community modules for Prosody

Perhaps you need to remove the line with “component_secret” from the block

-- Proxy to jicofo's user JID, so that it doesn't have to register as a component.
Component "focus.jitmeet.example.com" "client_proxy"
    target_address = "focusUser@auth.jitmeet.example.com"

with the last update jicofo changed from component to “client_proxy”-user

Thank you for your answer and suggestion.

I upgraded prosody and prosody-modules to the version from buster-backports and removed the line “component_secret” from the block as suggested but I still get the same error while reinstalling jitsi-meet-prosody

Maybe a clean installation (on a new machine or after purging all jitsi related packages) will be the quickest solution