Customize the default homepage

It appears the majority of the online tutorials and blogs about customization no longer apply. Many of these were authored in 2019 and 2020. Many configurations in /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js will be migrated to etc/jitsi/meet/MYDOMAIN-config.js if I’m reading the documentation correctly. I am aware that after making changes I need to clear the cache in my browser and as an extra step, I usually restart the services involved. So please don’t tell me to clear my browser cache.

I have a cloud-based Debian 11 self hosted install of Jitsi meet version 2.0.7287-1.

The opening homepage and the newest version is quite sparse. For the most part all it says is ‘Jitsi Meet’ and ‘Secure and high quality meetings’.

Supposedly this can be edited in /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js. All of these are supposedly editable:

/usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js

/usr/share/jitsi-meet/lang/main.json

/usr/share/jitsi-meet/lang/main-enGB.json (English language pack)

/usr/share/jitsi-meet/title.html

I’ve gone in and made the changes that I wanted to make. I saved the file, cleared my browser cache, restart it all the jitsi services and went back only to find that none of my changes have appeared. I went back into the above files that I edited and all the changes I made are still there, but they’re not showing up in my browser (chrome). So then I opened up another browser (Firefox) and they still do not show up. Frustrated I went to another PC and none of the changes show up. I can’t figure out what the heck is going on. I even rebooted all the computers and the default home page is the only thing that shows up.

Am I editing the wrong files?

Eventually I’d like to replace the logo and its associated link, the homepage image and color scheme, but right now I’d like to edit the opening homepage text. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Remember I’m running a relatively new release, Jitsi meet version 2.0.7287-1.

Not these files. Changes you make here will only show up by recompiling the binaries. That’s not what you need.

You should focus on config.js and interface_config.js. You can edit those files and just refresh your browser to show the changes. If they don’t show up, try opening the page in private mode.

Logos are image files. Those are found in /usr/share/jitsi-meet/images

thanks for the reply

To edit the default ‘Jitsi Meet’ and ‘Secure and high quality meetings’,[text] does this require recompile?
If not, in what file is the default text located?

Those are in app.bundle.min.js - /usr/share/jitsi-meet/libs/app.bundle.min.js. You can just edit and save that, no need to recompile. But know that these changes will be overwritten whenever you update Jitsi to a new version.

thanks, I’ll give that a look :+1: