Coturn chronicles

Stage 0
My Coturn chronicles started when I realized that coturn has a problem with Let's Encrypt certificate on Debian Buster. After some tests this issue was solved and I shared the related info on this topic

Stage 1
After a while, my friend said that some participants couldn’t connect to the conference. It seemed that these participants didn’t have permission to access to UDP/10000. but didn’t they connect through the TURN server?

Stage 2
I decided to test the TURN server again. I blocked my outgoing UDP/10000 traffic

iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 10000 -j DROP

and tried to connect to the conference using three tabs on the browser for the same room. But failed…

Stage 3
As you know, typical Jitsi installation uses TCP/443 for both jitsi-meet and coturn. Nginx checks the incomming packets and directs them to the corresponding upstream according to their types.

I opened the coturn port (TCP/5349) to the public to see if it worked alone. I changed prosody config to publish the new turns port to the clients.

/etc/prosody/conf.avail/meet.mydomain.com.tr.cfg.lua

{ type = "turns", host = "meet.mydomain.com", port = "5349", transport = "tcp" }

This didn’t work on the first try. I had to edit the coturn config.
/etc/turnserver.conf

external-ip=public-ip-address/local-ip-address
allowed-peer-ip=local-ip-address

And finally it worked. This means that Nginx couldn’t direct the packets correctly.

Stage 4
After some research, I saw that it would be better to direct packets by host. Therefore, I needed a second host address (FQDN) and a TLS certificate for the turn server.

• Added a DNS record for the new FQDN (let’s say turn.mydomain.com)
  • Added this FQDN to the Nginx config (needed for Let’s Encrypt)
    /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/meet.mydomain.com.conf
listen 80;
listen [::]:80;
server_name meet.mydomain.com turn.mydomain.com;
listen 4444 ssl http2;
listen [::]:4444 ssl http2;
server_name meet.mydomain.com turn.mydomain.com;
  • Created the TLS certificate
certbot certonly --agree-tos --webroot -w /usr/share/jitsi-meet -d turn.mydomain.com
  • Fixed the certificate parmissions as described in here

• Enabled the new certificate on the coturn config.
    /etc/turnserver.conf

cert=/etc/letsencrypt/live/turn.mydomain.com/fullchain.pem
pkey=/etc/letsencrypt/live/turn.mydomain.com/privkey.pem

Stage 5
It was time to edit the Nginx config. I commented the map block and added a new one.
/etc/nginx/modules-enabled/60-jitsi-meet.conf

#map $ssl_preread_alpn_protocols $upstream {
    #    ~\bh2\b         web;
    #    ~\bhttp/1\.     web;
    #    default         turn;
    #}
    map $ssl_preread_server_name $upstream {
        turn.mydomain.com turn;
        default           web;
    }

coturn didn’t have to listen other than 127.0.0.1 anymore. So I added one more line to the config too. All added/changed lines on /etc/turnserver.conf

cert=/etc/letsencrypt/live/turn.mydomain.com/fullchain.pem
pkey=/etc/letsencrypt/live/turn.mydomain.com/privkey.pem
external-ip=public-ip-address/private-ip-address
listening-ip=127.0.0.1
allowed-peer-ip=private-ip-address
no-udp

Stage 6
Happy end